Replacing Brake Accumuator..

robbo

I will be replacing the accumulator soon and wanted to know the correct procedure for doing it. Must the brake pedal be pumped 25 times beforehand to depressureize the system before unscrewing the accumulator? Any tips will be appreciated.

You will need to pump the brake pedal about 25 times to depressurize the system. You can then unscrew the accumulator. If after turning the accumulator more than one turn you still find it hard to unscrew, pump the brakes a few more times. Initially it will be tight only until the "O" ring is no longer contacting the pump but if it is still tight then you still have pressure in the accumulator. When you take off the old accumulator simply screw on the new one.

If you haven't already purchased an accumulator, I have some good used ones.

Additional advice:

1. It is easy to remove the black metal support bar, which is above the accumulator.

2. For some unknown reason, using an 8MM allen wrench worked better for me than my oil filter wrench.

3. I used a pipe wrench to keep steady the gizmo that the accumulator is screwed into.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Whaddya got against cats with guns? grin.gif </div></div>

I was hoping for grenades and mortars and where are the sound effects, not just guns but some screaming and where is the blood. <span style="font-style: italic">NOT</span>

I recently received a new accumulator for my '90. It's for backup if, or when, my present one goes bad. There is a label on the accumulator body that says to disconnect the battery before pumping the brakes 25 times. Maybe to make sure that the pump doesn't start ???

BJ

You might also consider wrapping a rag around the bottom of the accumulator. I recently removed two of them and still had some pressure left in them even after the 25 pedal pumps. Even though there was only about a tablespoon of fluid left, it covered quite an area once the pressure was released. Safety glasses are a must have when working on cars anyway and if you're "old" like some of us your probably wearing glasses anyway.