A question for everyone, please.

Guest 56BuickSuper

Guest imported_56BuickSuper

I got an email asking if I would answer a Buick question, of course I said I would. This is the question.

"Pretend you were writing a story. In the story is a 15 year old boy who has

a 58 RoadMaster. He needs one part to get it running. The part has to be

something that the average person can install in the back yard. What would

be the most expensive and hard to find part that you can think of?"

This was my reply:

"In your question you say to "Get it running".

This limits you to engine parts pretty much. This could be expensive,

but not to hard to locate and everything cant be done in the back yard,

another limitation. "Running" and "on the road and driveable" can make

a big difference in what could be needed for the car.

If you wouldn't mind I would like to post this question to the Buick

forum where I am a member. I think this could give you many more

options to choose from. Off hand I would say Torque Ball and seal.

Let me know if you want other options. I can send a link after I post

the question if you like."

He responded that it was ok to post his first email. If you will post some options here, I will send him the link. He did mention this was to be set before the internet was an option to locate parts, think 80's.

Dan

What about a new fuel filter element (for the glass bowl fuel filter of that era)?

Something easy, but you have to know "how" to do it--or figure it out over an afternoon (including copious amounts of pondering and possibly a good deal of "high test" ice tea).

Just a thought,

NTX5467

Guest imported_Thriller

Running implies spark, fuel, and initial rotation. Lots of things to go wrong, but what is the most expensive?

Starter perhaps? Generator (OK, you could probably start it, but wouldn't get far on battery power)? Carb?

Sorry...I don't know much...I'm more musing.

Guest imported_Thriller

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you bought a distributor recently ? It will set you back a couple of hundred dolllars and without it your car wont run. </div></div>

Please don't remind me...my '62's distributor had been butchered in an attempt to go with an electronic ignition...it couldn't even be used as a core...filings everywhere...however, the cost was buried in a bunch of other stuff I had done at that shop. crazy.gif

My idea would be quite a different one, I would say the steering wheel ! How ever you bend the degrees of "running" and "driveable", you couldn't drive anywhere without that smile.gif

Maybe it was once removed to be used in some sort of customjob or an early style hotrod, who knows !

Like many of the other responses, mine is based upon the car sitting up for some time. Based upon that, I would guess nearly any of the gaskets or rubber parts (accelerator pump, for example) out of the carburetor.

If you are trying to replace or rebuild an OE carb, the parts (QUALITY parts, of course) can be expensive. Even if you wanted to buy a performance carb (Holley, etc) it is also going to be expensive. Depending on which way you go, this could easily be several hundred dollars.

JW

a 15 year old boy who has a 58 RoadMaster. He needs one part to get it running

Lets hold this thought for a moment. Something the average person could install in the back yard to "get it running". I agree with the starter. The average person would be muystified with points and would never tackle the torque ball seal or the distributor replacement. But I think the starter is fair game for someone of this experience level.

JD

Guest imported_MrEarl

I'd say the key to the darn thing. You can buy all the other parts, but until you pay for the car ie and get handed the key, it ain't goin nowhere. grin.giftongue.gifwink.gif