old-tank

99% of all tube radio failers is the vibrator that buzzes, and chops

the dc current in ac currnet by flipping back and forth inside a tin

can in the radio.

The vibrator has double points that stick together for not being

used.

If you pop the back of the radio off, pull out the vibrator, a tin

can with four plug on the bottom, uncrimp the can, and open it up,

you will find the double flapper points.

Just sand them down a little, and you will be back in radio heven.

I am at the Corvair national meet in Portland and Fred Bybee is here from the Kansas City area. Fred repairs radios and clocks and you might give him a try.

He has done work for Buick owners in his area.

His phone number is 913-599-2303 and will be a that number after 8-4

Guest Albert

I have found the viburator a major problem, but you can now buy solid state ones as a replacement, but you should replace at least the 1600V .006mf cap in the powersupply before you go to far, it is also not a bad idea to replace all the old wax paper type capactors as well, as most will have dried out with age. I have done many radios myself for less than $6 worth of capactors, using mylars as a replacement. In about 12 radios i have found one tube went bad after a month or so of use. I have the red circle is the 1600v cap the blue is some of the others there is about 8-10 caps in total. This is a Packard radio but is almost the same as the buicks and Chevs.

Thanks for all the suggestions...keep them coming. Right now I am leaning to send the unit to Alan Kriss, since his ballpark estimate is reasonable.

I have already done in the past all of the capacitors, solid state vibrator and replaced the rectifier tube with diodes.

Dang those things are HEAVY...shipping will eat up a big chunk of change.

Willie

Guest wksheldon

Hi Willie:

I used Alan to rebuild the clock on my Special and he was great. Good price and quick turnaround time. Hope all is well in Seguin.

Hi Willie,

I just found the receipt for my radio that was converted to solid state and an FM conversion done.

It was done at:

Antique Radio Service

12 Shawmut Ave.

Wayland, Mass. 01778

508-653-2418

It worked great until I blew it up trying to get off the highway after running out of gas. I was pushing the accelerator pedal to the floor trying to get it to go and the starter engaged...POP!

It was $364.50 which apparently I will have to spend again since the fuse didn't blow. frown.gif

I don't think they did any cosmetics but it looked good already.

Mike

You mean you had your radio rebuilt but didn't get your fuel gauge fixed at the same time ?

Good thing you weren't in the hills of Kentucky when that happened. Its a long way between gas stations.

I will have to remember the radio next time I judge your car. cool.gif

Thanks for all of the replys and comments. I sent the radio to Alan Kriss. He does not do FM converstions but told me about a device from 'back when' that I had never heard about. It is and FM converter. Seems it plugs into the antenna wire between the radio and antenna to enable FM reception. I already bought one for $38 on ebay...never could resist gadgets! I already have an FM transmitter attached to my Walkman cd player. Now I will be able to listen to Blasmusik all the way to Rochester.

Willie

• 5 years later...