Harry A. Miller meet photos

Guest stude8

Guest stude8

The 2005 Harry A. Miller Club Meet was at the Milwaukee Mile race track July 9 / 10. I have posted some photos in the member gallery. There were about 43 cars on hand from 1906 to 1968 vintage. The biggest and most powerful had to be the 1938 Morman Meteor with its Curtis Conqueror 1570 CID V12 aircraft engine. It didn't make any laps on the 1 mile track, it is used to a 10 mile course at Bonneville Utah. It was started to show that 1570 cubic inches of piston power can still stir a man's soul. Another favorite on the track was the 1906 Stanley Steam Vanderbilt Cup race car. Not your regular Stanley by any means, a handsome long nose job that sported a great chime whistle. Of course there were many Millers and some big bore T head Mercers and the 599 CID 1911 Cutting. Stude8

My husband Vern took our youngest son Scott to see the cars this past weekend. I've put the pictures from Saturday on the Wisconsin Region AACA website: http://local.aaca.org/wisconsin/past_events.htm

I will add Sunday's pictures after I get them downloaded from the camera.

FYI: Dave Uihlein is one of the founding members of the Wisconsin Region, so we always attend and do what we can to promote this great event.

Jan K.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

FYI: Dave Uihlein is one of the founding members of the Wisconsin Region, so we always attend and do what we can to promote this great event.

Jan K. </div></div>

Dave Uihlein is one of the truely GREAT guys in the vintage race car world. I've always liked the story about the Alfa-Romeo he bought in the late 1940's less engine after the Indy 500. It took him 50 YEARS of waiting to get that engine and restore the car! That has to be some kind of record. grin.gif

Guest stude8

I found by going to aaca.org/wisconsin manually you can scroll their page to get to the Miller photos, the direct link has something funny about it??

David Uihlein has done a lot for auto racing enthusiasts, me especially, without the opportunity to get the 1933 Studebaker Indy car #34 registered with Miller Meet in 1996 I don't think I would have otherwise had the experience of driving on the Milwaukee Mile the many times I did. I am eternally grateful to Dave for that opportunity.

Dave is hovering around the 80 year mark now and doesn't move as fast on his feet as before but he was on the track in his Mercer T head race car #4 Saturday, I have some nice video of him in action. See the attached photo of David delivering drivers meeting rules a year ago at the Miller Meet.

Lets give a round of applause for one great guy, David Uihlein. Stude8

WOW! Thanks for that tip Stude8, great photos! Tracing race cars history has always been a hobby of mine, nice to see so many that I haven't seen in years! Is the Clancy 6 wheeler real or a clone? The Collier ARCA MG looks great restored, last time I saw that Austin Clark owned it. The Dave Uihlein MG-TD Special looks great in its original condition. But the real class shot in my opinion is the Tommy Milton Miller Convertible #5 coming in on an open single axle trailer behind a station wagon. grin.gif

Dave is a spectacular guy and I had the pleasure of visiting him and his collection at his home and museum. What a thrill. He has finished his 1904 Fiat and hopefully he will show it at our meet next year in Rockford, Illinois.

The Miller meet is very special and the hobby owes Dave a debt of gratitude for all he has done for vintage racing buffs. He also is a life member in AACA and has been generous to our causes. They do not come any better!

Guest stude8

Well I must have done something out of line, the images I uploaded yesterday do not appear anywhere I can find them (Should be in members gallery - Stude8) yesterday I thought they were waiting for censors to approve?? So today I tried to reload the same photos and it tells me they already exist but doesn't say where? So maybe a moderator can figure out where they ended up.

Which brings up the question how come we can post a photo attachment to this forum without approval instantly but the gallery has to go past censors??

Meanwhile the other contributor photos are viewable at Wisconsin site.

To answer question about Clancy 6 wheel car it is a clone, however it was built by the same man (Watson) who built original. I can say it is by far the LOUDEST OFFY I have ever heard.

I'll attach the Meteor photo with this post.

Stude8

Thanks for fixing the link for me. I figured out what the problem was, but couldn't get back on an unrestricted computer until just now. That's what I get from cutting-and-pasting the link from our home page!

I'll be back in the office tomorrow and plan to add the rest of the photos to the site then. Check back in the afternoon, if you want to see more photos!

Jan K.

Wis Region

Sunday's pictures are now on the Wisconsin Region site. Most of them were taken by my son Scott from his vantage point in one of the towers. They really don't do the racers justice, because they're only still, not video, pictures.

Jan K.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I must have done something out of line, the images I uploaded yesterday do not appear anywhere I can find them (Should be in members gallery - Stude8) yesterday I thought they were waiting for censors to approve?? So today I tried to reload the same photos and it tells me they already exist but doesn't say where? So maybe a moderator can figure out where they ended up.

Which brings up the question how come we can post a photo attachment to this forum without approval instantly but the gallery has to go past censors??

Meanwhile the other contributor photos are viewable at Wisconsin site.

To answer question about Clancy 6 wheel car it is a clone, however it was built by the same man (Watson) who built original. I can say it is by far the LOUDEST OFFY I have ever heard.

I'll attach the Meteor photo with this post.

Stude8 </div></div>

AJ Watson didn't build the original Pat Clancy 6-wheeler, though--that car came before Watson's involvement at Indianapolis, I believe, from all the histories I have read over the years.

Art

Guest stude8

I'll have to get the Fox book out about Indy history and check for original builder of Clancy 6 wheel car.

My photo uploads still do not appear anywhere so I'll do it the hard way and attach them 1 at a time here.

Here is the Curtis Conqueror V12. Stude8