What is this Sentimental Tour??

For weeks now the forum has been full of hype about something called a sentimental tour. I cant find it in any of the aaca scheduls. All i can find in may is a division tour in VA. Is it the same thing.<P>I know about the founders tour and the glidden tour but what is the sentimental tour. It looks like just another ordinary division tour that dynaflush is trying to make look like something more importent than it is.<P>It must be something special because it looks like you don't have to go thru headqarters to register. What is it.<P>Mike<P>

Mike: It is a special kind of Eastern Divisional Tour, and you DO have to go thru headquarters to register. It is written up off to the side on the main page of the aaca lead page (or whatever the main page at <A HREF="http://www.aaca.org" TARGET=_blank>www.aaca.org</A> is called). What's different? It's the first ever mid-century tour, and is for 1928-1958 vehicles. Hopefully the name will stick and in fact there are two more in 2002 in other Divisions. I'm Chairman, and I just want to get as many cars here as possible. Sorry you consider it more hype than others who are trying to obtain maximum participation. This is an extremely historical area where it will be, but very rural as well. In fact, George Washington and Robert E. Lee were born here.<BR>Hope that explains it to you. In case you wish to comment directly, drop me a line at buickman@crosslink.net. I'm Earl Beauchamp<P>[This message has been edited by Dynaflash8 (edited 02-14-2001).]<p>[This message has been edited by Dynaflash8 (edited 02-14-2001).]

We have had alot of tours in Ohio. Lots of presidents and famous generals are from here.<BR>That didnt make any of our tours any more importent then any body elses tour. People came for the tour not the hype. Is this somethin you expect to get something out of.<P>Mike

Earl,<P>I just noticed that you have removed a post from the forum again. This is maybe 4 or 5<BR>times you have done this. I wish you would get your facts straight before you put things out. Is that why you keep removing post, because of your facts? The one you removed tonight was about registration for your tour in May and it sounded like that people should get with you and not have to go through National to register. Now you say on a different post that you have to go through National. This has me wondering because I am the chairman for the Western Divisional Tour (no fancy name)later this year and I would like to know how we have to work registration. This is the same kind of thing that a Divisional tour last year tried to do and I heard they had problems because of it..<P>What are the facts about registration for a Divisional Tour? <P><BR>Dan Binger

Dan and anyone else who is concerned about this matter.<P>All tours, Divisional and National, MUST be registered for through AACA National Headquarters. NO EXCEPTIONS!<P>I don't care who you are or what you call your tour, the rules are the same and apply equally to everybody. It's all there in the Policy & Procedure manual. ~ hvs

The Sentimental Tour, as I understand it, is specifically for vehicles 1928 through 1958. The Vintage and Glidden tours don't cover that era, which Earl has chosen to name "Sentimental". As a 65 year old and soon to be retired, that generation of vehicles is particularly important to me because the cars of the late thirties, forties, and early fifties were the ones I knew growing up. So, I'm eager to register and participate! I hope the delay in the Jan-Feb Antique Automobile does not mess up the registration process. Still no AA in Fallston, MD. Perhaps today!<P>jnp

Yes Dan, Howard is correct. That is why I removed it, because it was being misinterpreted. There was no sense in letting it stay if that was the case. I hope that answers your question. <BR>I put up an answer to that effect. <BR>On the other hand, I don't see why it is a problem to encourage people to be on the lookout for the mail-in and encourage people to come to a Tour as a part of this forum. The fact that the magazine still isn't out to so many people just made me feel it was more necessary to get the word out that "it's coming". Also the ad in the magazine is a duplicate of my first ad rather than the second ad that I sent in.

Kinda like the name myself... defines the tour a bit, and makes it unique!<P>I've put titles on my national meets and it was always considered a great thing to to. ("Dual in the Desert" defined the National/Grand National meet held here in Tucson in 99 very well)<P>Earl, Keep it up! I'm sure your Sentimental Tour will be a great success! <P>Peter

I didn't consider the naming of the tour or Mr. Beauchamp's repeated comments about it as hype or an attempt to make it sound more important than it is. Rather I believe it is probably more that he is just proud and enthusiastic about what he and his Region is doing. Most regions conducting tours try to do something to make it special rather than just having another "ordinary division tour". Its the special touches tht makes the tour memorable.<BR>Considering that a lot of people have not received their Antique Automobile, the limited spaces available, and the upcoming deadlines, I can understand his concern about keeping people informed.

If this is "hype" then I'm guilty of it as well for touting some of the possible destinations in our 2002 Founders Tour in Wisconsin. <P>I believe a tour needs to be marketed to some extent, and that it isn't in poor taste to let possible participants know the theme of the tour (or meet), if there is one. If you're playing to the history of your area, for example, then tell us that. It might make a difference as to whether or not we attend. <P>A region or chapter puts an incredible amount of work into these tours, and it's only common sense that they would want to encourage the largest amount of people possible to experience the results of their hard work.<P>Personally, I like someone who feels strongly about their local area. They're the best tour guides, because their enthusiasm is infectious. (And I hope they never find a cure for that kind of illness!)<P>Jan K.<BR>Wisconsin Region<BR>(and proud of it)<p>[This message has been edited by JanK (edited 02-15-2001).]

oldscarnut: There is a nice one-page article on Oldsmobile (and REO) in the Oneida Lake Gazette (Oneida Lake Region in NY) by Jack Perkis. I'm going to send it on to the Rummage Box. I don't know if or when there will be room. If I knew how to send a scanned copy I do it for you. Send me your address separately and I will snail mail you a copy.

Guest SalG (Sal Grenci)

The Model T clubs always seem to give interesting names to their tours. The idea of going through National is so they have a central place for uniform sign up's. They most likely check to see if the people are AACA members (insurance, you know) and WHS's staff I am sure are old pros at it. Although I have never been on a tour, I have a group in the Vanderbilt Cup Region that go on the Glidden every year and have heard 90% good things about how well these things are put together. I agree w/ BruceW and JanK, I have put together some involved one day tours that have taken lots of time, a weeks worth and hotel and meal planning must be a ton of work. SalG smile.gif<p>[This message has been edited by SalG (edited 02-15-2001).]

Is it hype to promote, advertise, position, explain the benefits of attending, and just plain attempt to get AACA members interested in national events? The experience I've had over the past 10 years with these events is that you have to be "out there" in every positive way to ensure that your event is successful. With the growing event competition, you almost can't do too much hype. The real downside is that if some of these AACA events start to be poorly attended and financially a drain, we will all lose if the national calendar is reduced.

Jan: I love cheese too smile.gif Some seem to wonder about the Divisional Tour nickname. Earl Muir deserves credit for that. I kept thinking of an old Forties song they played at my high school dances in the mid-fifties. It is called "Sentimental Journey". I told Earl Muir one day, that would be a neat name for a tour of this type, but I couldn't use that. He said, very simply, "why don't you just use Sentimental", and the idea was born.

I SURE HOPE THAT PEOPLE USING THIS FORUM DO NOT DECIDE TO THROW OUT COMMON COURTESY THAT I HAVE COME TO EXPECT FROM MOST PEOPLE IN THIS HOBBY. THERE ARE A COUPLE OF POSTS IN THIS THREAD THAT I FELT WERE PERSONAL ATTACKS AND UN-NECESSARY! YOU CAN GET THE FACTS AND MAKE YOUR POINT WITHOUT ACCUSING SOMEONE UNFAIRLY. ANYWAY, IT SEEMS SILLY TO BE CONCERNED IF A TOUR HAS A NAME..I THOUGHT IT WAS ABOUT THE CARS, PEOPLE AND EXPERIENCE!

I recall an earlier thread complaining about the lack of info and hype for our events - it spawned a seminar at Philly this year on how to more effectively promote out activities and Earl's tour is a model in many ways. There has been a great job done organizing this event as well as promoting it. The concept is also worth thinking about and Id encourage anyone to consider a similar theme when organizing an event - these are the cars many of our members grew up with and they do indeed generate a lot of sentiment. Very appropriately named Earl! My registration is going in as soon as possible!<BR>Terry

A person decides to go out, drive in the country with his old car. This is an occasion. Two people do this, ...meet, discuss cars, and decide to do it again at another time,...this is a beginning. Five, ten,....fifteen,...this is an event. We do this to share, to have fun, we organize into clubs,.... we discover, to our surprise, that there are tens of thousands of lunatics, just like us. Maybe millions. One, ten,... a thousand,.... same difference, same value, same spirit. I'm a nut, I admit it. I value it. Name or not,..it's all the same,... a place to meet other loonies.<P>Robert.

Earl, Everything I've seen so far on your Sentimental Tour looks great! I'm only hoping we will be able to attend. And, Terry, I agree; organization and getting the word out are key to any tour or meet.<BR><P>------------------<BR>Sharon Lee

GREAT to see another of our National Directors on the Forum. VIVA Sharon. grin.gif<BR>~ hvs<P>This thread started with a bummer but it sure has been onward and upward since then. Looks like we ran Mr. Ford off. cool.gif<P>hv<p>[This message has been edited by hvs (edited 02-18-2001).]