1989 Buick Reatta radio fizzle out...

NCBRIJEN

OK all, yesterday on our way to the US Open and the Reatta radio began to snap crackle and pop and then out she went. I turned the radio on and off via the touch screen and no sound? I have been getting this crackling sound for a few months now but they always went away but this time the radio just quit. Even on the ride home the radio seemed to turn on via the screen but still no sound, then when I turned the corner to my house I tried again and the radio worked for about 2 minutes and then again muted. I have heard about this problem happening to others but I forget the fix. How do I fix the radio? How do I even get it out? Is anyone available to fix the radio without it costing a fortune? I just replaced all my speakers a few months ago with Polk speakers and now this, what a disappointment yet was eventually expected.

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks.

704-395-8692

Brian,

The radios are pretty good in Reattas but they do occasionally go bad. I do have a good one and I have sent you an email.

The radio is located in the console below the ashtray area. You will need to remove the console top. The shift knob has a small clip in the front of it that needs to be pulled out and then you can pull up and remove the knob. The bezel around the shifter is just held in with some push-in tabs and will come up with a little careful prying. The console top is then held in with some screws in front and some under the storage box insert under the armrest. There is also one screw inside the ashtray area.

Thanks Jim,

That would explain the clicking noice in the console when the radio went out. I have responded to your e-mail about where to send the payment to. Thanks for your help as always. :-)

• 5 years later...
Guest Ira Peters

I have a 1988 Reatta and I do not have any radio channels. CRT is working and I do have speaker noise if I turn up the sound loud. any suggections. Thank you

As Padgett noted, the only Reatta radio problem I have had is with these capacitors.

Various owners have explained their problems slightly differently but all seemed to be associated with the output/speakers.

I had one car that the radio would appear to be normal then you would get a very loud POP,

the volumn would drop to nothing......then very slowly the volumn would increase back to normal. The same thing might happen 5 minutes later or it might preform flawlessly all day. I presently have a Reatta that the radio volumn is very low when the car is first used.

By low, to hear the radio, the little volumn indicator must be up to 3/4 full volumn, then as the radio warms up (it may take 10-15 minutes) you need to lower the volumn.

Padgett gave a link.... I found some of the (very small) capacitors and changed them myself.

without a solder sucker, it was a tough job. If you are skilled at soldering then you could replace them, but otherwise, you are stuck with paying a repair shop.

If you need to buy one I recommend the spring loaded solder suckers over the squeeze bulb type. Makes the solder sucking a one handed operation.

You push the plunger in to cock it. When you are ready to suck up the solder you press the button on the side that releases the spring. The spring pulls back a plunger causing a vacuum inside the tube. A hole in the tip sucks up the solder. Prices vary from about $5-$30 depending on the quality you want. Amazon has a good selection.

218C0QE2FXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg