1937 Mercedes 230 ?

Restorer32

This car was apparently ordered by the Government of Bolivia for the use of their Supreme Court Chief Justice. Full documentation including copy of the original Telex to Mercedes when the order was placed. More details as soon as I have the documentation translated from the German and Spanish. Can anyone recommend a good source of general info re early Mercedes? Book? Is there a club or publication specifically for early Mercedes similar to the RROC? Thanks!

The MBCA basically caters to post-1970 cars. They do have at least one pre-war article in the Star each month now, however. As for books, try Werner Oswald's book "Mercedes-Benz Personenwagen 1886-1986" which has quite a few pictures, although it is in German and the production numbers are suspect.

Also, consider dropping a line to Henry Magno hmagno@comcast.net as he had a 230n in his shop last time I was there. He knows quite a bit about pre-war Mercedes.

regards,

A.J.

• 4 years later...
open cars and special bodies were assembled at Sindelfingen. for instance, my 230 cabrio body may have been assembled next to a 540 roadster body. but this was a "factory" in the sense that it was owned by MBZ but was not for typical assembly line bodies.

Thanks for clarifying, Terry. It's a factory assembly plant in Sindelfingen, but not a coachbuilder.

Jeff

I've been talking to a M-B expert and trying to convince him that Tom's plate says "Sindelfinger" with an "R" and he cannot believe it. He says it can't be an R, it must be a mishapen "S". I said, it's definitely an R. He said it must be a reproduction tag and someone has misspelled it. I told him if Tom's tag is a reproduction, I'll eat Rat for lunch.

How is Sindelfingen spelled on your tag?

I own a 230 delivery van

MB Classic has zero information.

Te little sedan delivery isn't a 170 the wheel base is longer Windshield and rad are very different

If anyone knows a W153 motor out there please let me know. These are a much improved version of the W143

Thank you

post-54359-143138112256_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
Hi all,

After Googling Sindelfingen, I found many references to Sindelfinger (Hof, Rathaus, businesses and companies, etc.), so it must have something to do with a possessive aspect or translation in German.

TG

Quite correct. The place is called Sindelfingen, a small town very close to Stuttgart. That's where the MB coachwork factory/shop was located in those days.

"Sindelfinger Karosserie" is a correct expression in German and just translates roughly to 'body/coachwork made in Sindelfingen'. There's no exact English translation for that I believe.

Anyway the plate is genuine, no worries.