Large jack collection to find a home in the AACA Museum

KRK Sr.

Large jack collection to find a home in the AACA Museum

The AACA Museum was still in the "fund raising" stage in 1992, when Leonard S. Donaghy of Pennsylvania donated his life long collection of over 200 pre-WWII jacks to the future AACA Museum in Hershey, Pennsylvania. With the help of Bill Smith and volunteers, the collection was brought back to the AACA headquarters and stored for the next seven years in a small room in the basement of Headquarters. Starting in 2001, Robert Krouch of Mechanicsburg sorted, photographed, and identified the collection. He chose this as his Senior High Project, a requirement of the state for graduation. The student is required to spend a minimum of 100 hours on a project over a 3 year time period. In addition to identifying the jacks, he created a web site to access this information. During the past year, the collection was moved to a storage room at the Museum. The Museum Board has approved a location to display many of these jacks on the lower level. The weight of the collection requires special cases to be constructed from steel and glass. For this project to move forward, funds must be raised. There are no monies in the budget at this time for that purpose. Donations are requested to bring this collection out of the storage area. Pease send donations to the AACA Museum "Jack Display Fund" 161 Museum Dr., Hershey, PA 17033. Thanks, Karl

Thanks Karl.

I own several Weed Chain jacks that we use with our early cars. They work great. We were on a Horseeless Carriage Tour and got a flat. My husband pulled out the Weed Chain jack and changed the tire. Didn't even get dirty.

Thanks for the link.

Jack display update: Two bids have been received for the construction of the cases for the jack collection. Cost is all but $7000.00 which includes lights. The AACA Museum is offering sponsor naming of each of the four foot sections of display cases. If any AACA region or individual is interested in helping and NEEDS a fund raising cause for this summer, here is your chance. Contact the museum, a pledge of $2000.00 is required to receive your name on the case. All donations of any amount will gladly be accepted. Thanks, Karl Krouch Sr.

Can you name the car and year this jack goes with? We can... Answer soon...

So why are original jacks so hard to find for pre-war cars? I've found a number of rare convertible and body parts for my 1936 Pontiac cabriolet, but have had no luck finding a jack. When I run an ad for one, I get calls from other guys also looking for the same thing. I've talked to a lot of other owners, contacted parts car sellers, etc., but these things are rare as hen's teeth. Is this unique to Pontiac (poorly made, then broke?) or a common situation?

Bob, Late Pre-war car jacks for some reason can be so dangerous to use that many were thrown away and some other jack put in the trunk. This makes it all the more difficult to get the right ones back in the cars they belong. The 1920's jacks were better constructed and many find there way into 30's autos over the years. As rear fender openings became lower, rim jacks and stands or bumper jacks were the only way to get the cars high enough to remove the rear tires. Most of those are killers! Your 1936 uses one of the last screw jacks, but went on a bumper support. When fully extended it must be close to 30+ inches tall!

Anyone have the correct year and car of the jack photo attachment on my last post? 1939 Buick, series 40-90. Do you own this car with the wrong jack!

Peter, I will have my son contact you when he gets home from work.

Karl

It's no less frustrating to find a missing 50s-70s jack/trunk tools. Can't figure why they go missing other than owners' perversity- like the old coot from my childhood who immediately removed the hubcaps from any car he bought. Pretty much impossible to find one in a junkyard too since I'm told most yards remove them for liability reasons, trying to prevent people from using them to strip underbody parts.

I keep a small floor jack or late model GM ratchet jack in the car when touring- those can jack the car up by the frame and I think are a little safer than a bumper jack. Still wouldn't go underneath a car supported by one.

Back to the thread- great job id-ing and cataloging the jacks.

I would be great to have a site devoted to only jacks, as so many are looking for correct jacks, not that they would use them. I have my original 1940 Jack but would not use it, I opted for a 1956 Buick jack, it is a side frame jack, no damage to bumpers or body.

I have a collection of old jacks about 25 some cast other steel, and would like to identify them. I find them at a lot of auctions in the farm belt, where farmers never threw anything away.

Jim Schilf

palbuick

What about some of the big monies that the Museum received from the auction

that was held in conjunction with the Hershey Fall Meet? Rings a bell that it was somewhere in the neighborhood of $100, 000 that was given to the Museum.

Patt

Dear Patt, every business and organization has a budget. I am sure the $100k is an important line item every year for the Museums budget. I am also sure if we want to wait, monies could come from the budget. The jack collection is a great educational tool and as the collection becomes known, it will be a DRAW for visitors. I am sure parts of it will be photographed by many visitors who are trying to find the correct jack for their car back home.

I will be the first to tell you THIS IS NOT my area of expertise to ask anyone for [color:\\"green\\"] $$$$$ MONEY [color:\\"black\\"] . My interest is in the collection. For those who come to Hershey each fall, they know me as the "jack and tool guy" in the Chocolate Field. For those members who don't get to Hershey: I buy and sell old jacks. I can tell you there are some rare jacks in the collection.

The storage shelves can continue to hold the collection for years. If we donate the money now, everyone can view the collection soon! All I can say about it is decide how important it is to you, send monies or... don't. Thanks, Karl

Guest sixpack2639

Karl, Not trying to hijack the thread but you say you buy and sell old jacks. Do you happen to have a correct jack for a 51 Buick? Carl

Carl, my reason for adding that info was to let everyone know the value of the collection, not to sell jacks. I checked my large photo library and have attached a photo of what you need for your car. Just like the collection, my sales focus is on pre WWII jacks. However, I photograph just about any jack I see to add that info to my own data files. Some day I'll write a book! grin.gifI find that most bumper jacks can pinch your fingers quicker than screw jacks and try not to buy them! Hope this photo helps you find the one you need. Karl

Guest sixpack2639

Karl, Thanks for the info and pic. As I said, I wasn't trying to hijack the thread but I have been looking for a correct jack for my 51 for some time for display only (I don't really trust them). Carl