Has anyone ever heard of a Marion-Handley from the 20's

My father recalls a vehicle owned by his grandfather by this name. He also believes that they are very rare. Any information on such a car built around the 20's? Thanks

According to the Standard Catalog of American Cars 1805-1942 (none of my other references had anything) the Marion was made from 1904-1915 and was advertised as "The car that has set men to thinking". The Marion was made in Indianapolis, but it 1916 was moved to the Imperial plant in Jackson, MI, and became the Marion-Handley, the name change being the vanity change for the owner J.I. Handley. It was an assembled car and is very rare.<P>By 1918 the Marion-Handley was out of business, so your great-grand father drove a used one if he had it in the '20s. <p>[This message has been edited by ronbarn (edited 02-03-2001).]

There used to be a Marion-Handley at the Indianapolis 500 Museum,..it was a loaner, so I don't know if it is still there. They were a pretty large car, and I understand they were popular as taxis, at least in Indianapolis. Try "cruise-in", for more info on Indiana-built cars. I got to drive a 1905 Marion,... it was a two cylinder, looked like a converted buggy, and was very imprecise in the steering. It was fun,..but I would not want to go on a trip in one.<BR>RS<p>[This message has been edited by IndianaCarGuy (edited 02-03-2001).]

The other car to feature the Handley name was the Handley-Knight, manufactured between 1921-23 by the Handley Motor Car Company of Kalamazoo, Michigan.<BR>The car was the 6th make to appear using the Knight sleeve-valved engine in 1920.<BR>Advertising used the slogan "America's finest Knight-engined motor car".<P>When production began in 1921, cars were available in touring, coupe and sedan bodies,<BR>with prices ranging from $2985-$3750.<BR>The car used a 4 cyl engine, and had a 125 in<BR>(3172 mm) wheelbase.<P>By 1923, the Knight engine was no longer being used, due to mechanical problems.<BR>The car was renamed the Handley Six<BR>There were 2 models in the range:<P>1. Model 6-40<BR>6 cyl Falls engine<BR>115 in (2919 mm) wheelbase<BR>"Flat front" radiator<P>2. Model 6-60<BR>6 cyl Midwest engine<BR>125 in (3172 mm) wheelbase<BR>"Vee-type" radiator<P>In 1923, the company was bought by the<BR>Checker Cab Co, and manufacture ceased.<BR>Production of the Handley-Knight and<BR>Handley Six was "minimal", according to my sources.<P>

• 11 years later...
  • 11 years later...
On 12/24/2023 at 3:44 PM, My husband Thomas said:

We have a 1918 Marion Handley. My husband was in the middle of restoring before he passed away. Looking to sell it

Sorry to hear of your husbands passing. You may want to post your general geographical area as an AACA member may be near by to help or maybe give a guess to the value. It would most likely be worth more money if it were together as opposed to being in pieces.