Care to play the "identify this car" game?

brian0918

Can anyone identify this car? Also, is there a way to find out who owned the car (or other information) by the license plate? If I had to guess, I'd say the photo was taken in Michigan or that the car was registered there, but it looks like it says PENNA under the license plate number, which I've been told is an old abbreviation for Pennsylvania. I could be wrong though.

image here (270KB)

high-res version (4MB)

cleaned-up version (380KB)

Update: I found this page, which has a lot of info on Penna license plates, and judging from the lack of a keystone under the bottom right of the first 3, and the license plate numbers (issued serially in PA?) the license plate is probably from 1920. Anyone else agree/disagree?

Thanks.

Does anyone know when or how often license plates were reissued in PA in the 1920s? I'm trying to pin down the year the photo was taken. As for the place, I know that this family lived in Michigan, so I'm not sure how Pennsylvania works into it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think Dodge had a higher crown to the fenders, I'm guessing the car is a 1920 Oldsmobile, based on the cowl lights and radiator shell shape. </div></div>

I thought so too, but not with a round radiator badge. Also if you look hard (it's very dark in that part of the photo) there is a something of a decent crown to those fenders. Finally those cowl lights look off-kilter to me, and there looks to be something like a spotlight hung on the left side of the car. I think they may be aftermarket items.

Might it be a Jordan? confused.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe a Star? Or a Durant? </div></div>

Durants began manufacture in 1921, Stars weren't made until 1922. </div></div>

OK, definitely not a Star or a Durant, then... smile.gif

We'll identify it by process of elimination.

Looks like a Gray Dort to me. Not the later ones, they had a squared off rad shell. 1918ish. They were the seconds best selling car in Canada then. Regards, Gary