National Award winner notification..

Nick_S

There are over 35 awards for cars alone not counting service awards (about a dozen of those) and new ones are often being made available by contributors.

The following are some of the awards for specific brands:

The Benny T. Bootle Award - for an outstading V8 Ford completing an AACA National tour

The Auburn-Cord-Duesenerg Award - ACD vehicles

The Mercer Plaque - for outstanding Mercer automobile

The Walter P. Chrysler Award - Chrysler built vheicle

Ransom E. Olds Trophy - year's highest scoring Olds Motor Works or Oldsmobile product

The Ford Award - Brass era and Model T...1903-1927

The Ford Award - Model "A" Cars...1928-1931

The Ford Award - Pre-War Ford....1932-1945

The Ford Award - Post-War Ford...1946 to current allowable year

The Edgar E. Rohr Memorial Award - 1920 or older Buick Junior or Senior automobile

The Joseph Parkin Award - outstanding Packard in each Division

Louis Chevrolet Award - outstanding Junior chevrolet at AACA Naitonal Meet

The Foo Dog Trophy - outstading Rolls Royce entered in National Meet

AACA Post War Buick Award - Post WWII Buick entered in National Meet

These are the ones I know about.. might be more. Hope this helps.

The award itself, which is kept at National Headquarters with the rest of the awards, is a an ancient chinese work of art representing the Foo Dog. From what understand, statues of the mythical Foo Dogs were used to guard Buddist temples, protect from evil spirits and retain peace and tranquility. The sponsors of the awards usually get to decide the design and I guess the sponsors of this award thought a National award would be worthy of a valuable piece of art.

Folks, if you purchase a copy of the "National AACA First Junior, Senior, Preservation Grand National, and, Annual Trophy Award Winners" publication from AACA National Headquarters ($4.00 in 2003), you will find it informative.

It lists the car, owner, and, year of the award for all of the above categories, not just National Award Winners. (Published/Updated yearly.)

In the back, is noted the National Award, the purpose of the same, the recipients.

Most that I looked at list the award winners going back to 1952.

Susan: The Foo-Dog Trophy (quoted from this publication)...

"Awarded at the AACA Annual Meeting for an outstanding Rolls-Royce automobile entered in a National Meet judged on the basis of age, style and quality of coachwork, authenticity, appearance and mechanical condition. Award established in 1945 by former AACA President, D. Cameron Peck. The trophy is an ancient and valuable Chinese work of art."

Craig: Send me a private memo with your nominated category and I'll look it up.

Know you told me, but, I forgot...

NickSS, Good luck however don't be disappointed if you get a certificate for an outstanding show car for the 2004 year and not the award. Its still an honor and very few make the grade / cut each year. I went through this a few years back and ended up not winning. Having seen the vehicle (that won in the award I was up for) which was last months AACA magazine featured Chrysler cover car my head didn't hang to low.

Ron, thanks for your comments, having participated in this year's selections I can tell you first hand that choosing between the nominated cars is not easy. In a years time we have many 395-400 point cars in our system and they are all worthy of a National Award. Same goes for service awards, there are a lot of deserving people that give much to AACA. It is a great honor to have your car nominated and I hope no one hangs their head if they are not selected.

All of the National Awards are displayed in glass showcases in the front room of the National Headqaurters. I saw the National Awards for the first time while attending this year's President's Reception during Fall Hershey week. Its one thing to see them on the screen at the National Awards banquet but its really neat to see them in person.