can a vintage dragster be registered/tagged by AACA?

lyndwood

WE NEED TO TALK! My Lyndwood was originally built in 1959 by Pat Bilbow in Wilkes Barre, Pa. for The Danbury Modifiers. I plan to restore it to how it looked in this photo taken on June 17, 1962. It has had an AACA Certification tag on it for over 12 years, I just need to assemble the small block Chevy motor and it is done.

Before you start the restoration, do the research! Find out who owned it since new, who drove it, where and when, records set, speeds etc. Then deside what year you want to restore it to. If a race car ran for 5 or 10 years you can show it as it looked in any year you pick, but it can't have any upgrades it may have had in the following year. Collect as much info you can, National Dragster had results from all the events back then

Get as many photos as you can of the car before you restore it. The race cars are judgef using the "Year of Documentation" photo that you have to submit to the Certification Committee. Request all the forms from the Vice President of Class Judging. You have to prove beyond any doubt that the car you have is the car you say it is. Race cars are judged as how they looked on race day. Every Lyndwood chassis was stick welded, and I left every bit of weld spatter on it, it was there when Pat sold it, it was there when it set an NHRA class record in B/D, who an I to remove that bit of history.

This is my favorite photo of the Modifiers Lyndwood, taken after June 17, 1962. Note that is has the NHRA mandated windscreen, and is now running M&H slicks. Yes that is Don Garlits Swamp Rat III parked behind it. The car won its round but ran a main bearing, and the engine was torn down to install a new set. Problem was there was no replacement set at the track. A team member raced back to the shop fished through the trash bin and found the old set they had replaced the nite before. Quickly reassembled the car went out and turned fastest time of the day and won Top Elimanator. The Garlits car was running exibition runs and was not in competition.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lyndwood, where did you go...I have a package ready to send you. Still need the address. </div></div>

Wonder where the guy went? If he does't come back maybe I should ask for that paperwork and get another Drag Car certified. grin.gif

Wow-brings back memories! I brought a box of slides home from my parents home in Mich last year and have yet to go through them all but I know there are quite a batch that I took at US131 Dragway in Martin Mich during the mid 60's. Sox & Martin, Roger Lindamood, Arnie Beswick, Dick Landy, Big Daddy, Connie Kalita should all be there. If I can find the time I'll get some decent copies produced and bring them to you at Hershey Bob. Might even figure out how to post some here. I spend a lot of time looking over the race cars at Hershey - pure nostalgia!!!

Terry