Power upgrade

Eric Marsh

The wife is complaining that the Reatta is underpowered. What options are available to pull some more power out of the car. Is a chip upgrade worthwhile? How about putting a turbo or blower on? How much effort and what are the issues that would be involved?

Thanks,

Eric

The Reatta powertrain is an integrated package and everything is near its limits, there is no inexpensive way to a lot more power.

That said, a stock Reatta should be capable of 0-60 in 8-8.5 seconds. While not muscle car capable, is not bad at all. However keep in mind that while quick, the Reatta has such a flat torque curve that it does not *feel* fast since it has no "rush of power" when floored, it just goes faster

So first you need a baseline: what is your car doing now and what do you want it to do ?

Guest Greg Ross

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Is a chip upgrade worthwhile? </div></div>

There is no chip option unfortunately!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> How about putting a turbo or blower on? </div></div>

Sure, how deep are your pockets?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> How much effort and what are the issues that would be involved?

</div></div>

Where do you want to start and how many issues can you handle at one time?

Sorry, don't intend to sound rude but, search here and you'll find loads of discussion. An extra 50- 75 horsepower is just the ticket though, unfortunately it's no simple bolt-on.

Would anyone say that CAI or just going to a cone filter improved power in the 8-15HP range?

Could switch to another cam? GM ROSS did. I don't think it required any reprogramming.

How about lighter aftermarket rims? Would going to rims that are 5-10lb lighter improve acceleration much? How much do stock rims weigh? 25+lbs?

I have always found the Reatta to have good power and "get up and go." I would seriously look into tune-up related reasons for a lack of power. You also may want to pull up the engine codes and see if there's a problem there. The only other thing I would ask is how much does you wife weigh?? (Just kidding, I could not resist!)

Folks, thanks for the feedback.

I don't think Janet wants to make the car into a rocket, just bump it up to somewhere around 200-210hp. That's what our Crown Vic has and it is adequate, (though possibly not sufficient). I was also thinking that at that level the trans would probably not be stressed excessively.

I understand that the turbo blocks are good for 600-800 horses so I'd figure that a stocker running around 200 shouldn't be any sort of an issue.

Essentially I'm looking for an easy solution, possibly using factory parts. So, for example, I was kicking how much effort it would be to adapt a turbo setup and just use a low level of boost, say 6 pounds. Perhaps a tiny dry shot of nitrous, say a 40 shot, might be worth taking a look at.

Just trying to keep Janet happy with her new car.

smile.gif

Although I am not a fan of nitrous, it is probably the quickest way to add a little horsepower. Greg Ross's S/C engine and my turbo install do work, but neither is simple and I still have a knock issue to get under complete control. The other downside to nitrous is the bottle will need to be filled at regular intervals. You can do the cold air intake and open up the rear exhaust manifold to gain maybe 2-3%, which will be noticeable. Optimize the existing system as much as possible, plugs, wires etc.... If it has 100k miles on it, a new timing chain may help sharpen it up too. Plus, run plain old 87 octane for the snappiest performance with the stock chip.

Cold air intake I think is the best bang for the buck as the Reatta has the smallest stock air filter I've ever seen. Also Bosch Platinum +4 spark plugs (Napa $6ea.) seem to make it run a little smoother and quicker. Might be enough to make her happy, especially if the plugs are old and the filter is plugged. I'd stay away from anything you see on eBay that claims to add 20hp for 10 bucks.

Realistically, 550 hp is about the practical limit for the factory turbo blocks (they have extra webbing internally over N/A blocks). RWD Stage I and Stage II set-ups can go over 1000hp.

--

I've bounced the idea of a S/C or T/C setup aound every since I got the car in '98 although I've never followed through because I want the car to be more reliable and not a "project car" which I constantly have tinker with.

--

With 138K on it, I now have to tinker with it just to keep it running (all of the electrical problems and mechanical quirks and such). I'm glad I never took it any further.

--

All of the above suggestions for little power boosts are good. Do those first and see if the wife "feels" the difference. Just my 2 cents.

I find it hard to believe that a Crown Victoria (unless it has the police package) would *be* faster than a Reatta though it might *feel* faster. Please find a safe place to make a couple of 0-60 runs and let us know what you find.

Also a loose TV cable will keep the engine from downshifting and distinctly slow transitions.

Another factor might be if you have a particularly restrictive opening in the rear exhaust manifold. This seems to vary all over the place.

Yes the intake system is teensy but should not feel any effect below 4000 rpm. There are two main restrictions: the air filter (and Fram filters seem particularly bad) and the intake neck opening at the firewall. You want about 2" diameter through the system. The manifold/throttle plate is about 1 7/8" on the "C" engine (2" on the "L" - used 1991 and later) so that is the limiting factor.

I personally do not care for the Magnavox ignition, the later Delco is a bolt in and have with #14 (.060") Rapidfires on mine.

Yes the cam is ded, was a different profile every year but was designed to tolerate 1300 rpm at 45 mph in top/locked and a peak at 2500 rpm. This means that anything over 4500 rpm is going to be strained but matches all of the other things I've mentioned.

Now 200 hp is very possible but you are going to have to pay attention to all of these factors and is not going to be simple.

The simplest other alternative is to find a 1992-93 Supercharged engine with the triple solenoid EGR valve in front, rebuild, drop in, make some wiring changes, and match a PROM to it.

But first, please, some baselines.

Guest EDBS0

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would anyone say that CAI or just going to a cone filter improved power in the 8-15HP range? </div></div>

I have a CAI and Cone Filter K&N type and observe only a slight increase in induction noise. Not much else. 180 degree thermostat too.

Given what it is a Reatta is reasonably fast. Making it faster is going to take a great deal of time, money and engineering. I takr my hat off to padgett and GM ross for their accomplishments.

Get an 89 SHO if you want fast and tweekable.

For a Reatta, nitrous oxide would provide the biggest bang for your buck.

Guest Greg Ross

On behalf of Padgett and my Family I would like to thank the Academy....

grin.gif

EDBSO, been enjoying every minute of it!