moto meter thermometer

pronto25

I have a 1925 business coupe it overheated on me and the thermometer is stuck all the way to the top on the moto meter.Does any one know how to bring it back to the bottom???I since put fresh water and fixed the water pump seal but I do not know my temperature...Please help!!!

Hello Pronto 25--

My solution for a "stuck" motometer: Grasp it FIRMLY with the base down, and "pound" it slowly on an inflated car tire. You will have to repeat this action many times but, little by little, the fluid will make its way back into the reservoir. Make sure the tire is not a hard truck tire or a high pressure tire that has no "give." You don't want to damage the part of the motometer that extends into the radiator. Don't rush, and risk having the motometer fly out of your hand. Does anyone out there have a better method?

The motometer is a useful accessory, but certainly not necessary for operation of the car. These cars came from the factory with a simple screw-on cap made of bakelite.

By the way, I have a '24 Coupe. Enjoy the holidays!

Some one gave me a tip yesterday to check ebay for a part that I needed, I found what I wanted and also found a moto-meter. I have seen several of these on e bay in the last few weeks. I am a new member with a new to me original 1925 Dodge touring and love to drive it. I am in CA 90275 and looking for other members near me.Good luck and Happy Holidays.

• 8 years later...

I'd like to find a motometer that will fit my '26 coupe. As I'm driving this car much more than it ever has since 1988, i worry that its going to overheat and not know it till it's too late. Does anyone have suggestions as to where I can find a used one in working order. Or is it better to buy a new one? Not sure I like the new ones as they are too shiny (where my old car isn't).... I see ebay has a number of them but not sure how to find one that is still in good working order. Any advice? If new, where is the best place to get one?

I have bought used DB Motometers on EEKBay, some work, most were all red. I didn't care, just didn't want a shiney new one. When steam comes out of my radiator I know it is hot. I just like the Motometer on there. I have seen used ones go for WAY more than new ones. I believe the new ones are still made by Motometer. Now for new ones, again, ROMAR and Myers has them. Support your DB Vendors. It is a very small market, especially compared to Ford vendors and times are tough. We would all suffer if we lost these guys. There are a few others but these are the main ones.

I have been told you can lower the red back down by placing the meter in a sling type of affair with the metal bulb pointing down and a length of rope, then twirl it around like a centrifuge. Make sure it is in there securely so you don't take your kids eye out if it lets loose! Or worse yet, break the windshield out of your DB! Heck, the kid will heal!