264/322 flywheel question

brad54

Here's some hardcore early nailhead tech for you guys!

How were the early 264 and 322 nails balanced?

I've been told there is a different part number for the flywheels for 264 and 322s. I have a 264 flywheel, and am building a 322. Can the 264s flywheel work on the 322?

Also, in '56 they started using a harmonic balancer/damper, while in '54-55 they didn't. The flywheel is from a '55, while the 322 is a '56.

If all else fails, what are your thoughts on having the '56 reciprocating assembly balanced, complete with damper and 264 flywheel?

Thanks,

-Brad

I'm dealing with a manual trans. I've got an old Cragar bellhousing that will put a Ford T-85 behind it, which is a tough trans, and I've got a friend with a freshly rebuilt T-85 with Overdrive that he's getting rid of.

What is the C. T designation? I realize the DF is for Dynaflow, so I'm guessing C T is somehow Manual Trans?

Anybody have any idea how rare the bigger body styles with stick shifts were? I know the 264 Specials with them are fairly common, but how about the Super and Roadmaster?

Thanks all!

-Brad

Guest imported_MrEarl

Hey Brad,

There were 0 Syncromesh transmissions in the Roadmasters.

Re the 40 series engines:

Engines used with Syncromesh were equipped with cast iron flywheels for clutch application and had a compression ratio of 7.2 to 1

Engines used with Dynaflow were equipped with steel flywheels for torque application and had a compression ratio of 8.1 to 1.

This compression difference was determined by the piston dome height above the top shoulder of the piston. (.349 above for the Dynaflow and .243 above for the Syncro) The low compression pistons have raised letters "L.C." on the top shoulder of the piston on the valve side.

Of course you're aware the series 40 had a pulley instead of a harmnic balancer

The flywheels were not interchangeable from 40 series to 60, 50, and 70's. All series 40 flywheels were stamped with "3.6" on the rear (transmission side) face. Neither were the blocks, pistons, pins and rings, camshaft.

Everything else, rods, bearings, crank, mainbearings cylinder heads, valves, water pump, water manifold etc was interchangeable.

All this applies to the 1954's

Gotta go feed the chickens. More later

Brad

From what I've seen 264s had cast pulleys and 322s had a damper. I talked to a guy on the phone who says his 53 322 has cast pulleys but haven't seen the car yet to verify it. I think the 322 and 264 used the same crank so you should be able to ballance the flywheel to the rotating assembly on the 322. I know some 264s had smaller clutch 322s had 10 1/2". The factory pilot bushing on a 56 is the same inside diameter as the pilot shaft end on a Chevy 4 speed. Keep us posted on your convertion progress.

Judd

Dang. You guys rock!

Thanks everybody for the info. I'm going to put this all in the pot and slow cook it for a while while I build my shop.

regarding the compression ratio for the 264-I thought I've heard that the higher compression ratio was acheived with a different head gasket thickness, though I've also heard that the pistons are different from Dyno to Synchro. With the "LC" stamped right on the pistons, I guess it's more than the head gaskets!

I saw an old Schneider aluminum flywheel on Ebay a while back, but I'm still on the fence about and aluminum flywheel, particularly an old one made back when they were having troubles with flywheels fragging and taking people's feet with them.

Someone here also pointed me toward an outfit that makes Chevy bellhousing adapters for the Nailheads, and though he doesn't recomment using a 4-speed behind them because he puts a crank/pilot adapter ring on, he says a Chevy flywheel will work, which is neutrally balanced. More to boil down for a while.

-Brad

Brad

I've been told you can drill two bottom holes in a 56 322 bell housing bore the hole for the pilot shaft housing to fit a Chevy 4 speed and slightly oval the top holes in the chevy 4 speed and it will mount right to the stock 322 bell housing. I have compared my 56 322 bell housing to a friends Chevy 4 speed and I believe this is true.

Judd

Brad

56 had higher compression in all series than 55 down motors 40's 2 barrel had 8.9 with Dynaflow, 50,60,70, series had 9.5 also 56 motor has bigger exhaust valves and lighter pressed pin rods. ( some late 55 motors had the pressed pin rods ) Cams lifters distributors must stay together on 56 motor as they were different hardness of metal used on 53 to 55 and will cause high wear if mixed. If you post the number stamped opposite the dip stick on your block we can tell you what motor you have.

Judd

Judd,

That's some excellent info! I'll be jotting it all down in my "Nailhead Notes" ring binder I keep.

That's very interesting about the Chevy trans/bellhousing. You're speaking of a '56 MANUAL bellhousing, correct? That would be the same as the '54 manual bellhousing, I'm guessing. I have one of those, and I see them pop up on ebay every now and then. Even better than wallowing out those top holes would be to thread the top holes, then fill them with a piece of threaded, hard rod, and then drill fresh holes, whilch would be off-center of the threaded inserts, partway in them/part way in "fresh" bellhousing material.

You know, if that works (input shaft length, etc.) that's probably the way I'll go on one of my engines. I've got a spare throw out fork and bearing. But I'm back to needing a flywheel!