Insurance

How much does it cost you guys with multiple cars to insure your cars? My dream is to one day have seven cars and drive a different one every day of the week. If I am the only one allowed to drive them then shouldn't I just pay one flat rate? Maybe a little extra per year for the paper work. How much more does it cost to insure a second driver to use them?<P>Tomsriv<BR>71 Riv

Hey Tom,<P>Got your FI working good?<P>On insurrance, it'll be slightly different depending on the company you go with. But you usually get a discount on the first car for insuring a second car, plus insurance on the second car doesn't cost as much.<P>When I added a second car, the total additional fee was less then $200. Technically, the fee for car 1 went down about 100, and the charge for car 2 was less then 200. I don't know if you continue to get discounts for the more cars you have tho. Seven cars, wow. A neat idea tho. Neighbors might think your a carlot owner. :-)<P>Hope ya get some better replies then I can give.<P>-S

I have six cars and I have "antique" auto insurance on 4 of them. It is the only economical way to go. You pay for "agreed value" insurance. a 10-15K policy should run you between $100 and $200 a year. I have it with "Hagarty" Insurance. There are several cos. that offer similar policies. Just make sure you get "agreed value" insurance.

Everybody!<P>You all need to check out <A HREF="http://www.electricinsurance.com" TARGET=_blank>www.electricinsurance.com</A> for your insurance needs! I have had my home with them for a while now and just put my three cars on with them too (After a rate increase from AIG). The only problem is they will not put the old cars on with FULL coverages.<P>Here's what I have and what they did for me.<BR>2000 F-350 4x4 Crew cab<BR>1995 plymouth Voyager Sport Wagon<BR>1964 Buick Riviera<BR>The Pickup and Van have 50-100-50 coverage and the Riviera has liability. I am 28 & my wife is 23. Our ANNUAL premium is $1167, yes annual. They saved me over 800 dollars a year.<P>Just to let you all know they are not a start-up company, they are a GE subsidiary and used to offer insurance to GE employees only. Very kind and courteous people.<P>Just a money saving tip smile.gif" border="0<P>Duane

Guest nailswede

I pay 50$ a year for my electra wink.gif" border="0<BR>(collector insurance) <P>90-100$ for wildcat<BR>(regular car insurance)<P>real cheap i guess shocked.gif" border="0 <P>Anders

I use to have my cars insured by State Farm under "antique cars" but they didn't have an agreed value policy. After joining the St. Louis Buick Club Chapter we had a member give a presentation on different kinds of insurance and what different companies offer. A lawyer in the club took it upon himself to compare a few different insurance companies and his conclusion was that Hagerty was by far the best company for collector cars. I switched my car from State Farm (where it was insured for $5000 only and not an agreed value policy) to an agreed value policy of $14000. The premium is right around $150 or so per year. I was paying around $100 at State Farm but I didn't have the agreed value policy and I didn't have a zero deductible on collision and comp. I guess I really feel safer that the car will be taken care of in case of an accident. A few people in the club have had some accidents and they raved on about how quickly and hassle-free Haggerty was in getting their "baby" back into shape.<BR>I can't remember which company it was, but I remember that the member who gave the presentation mentioned that a car was damaged while the owner was having dinner at a restaurant and the insurance company would not pay to have it fixed because somewhere in the fine print it stated that the car had to be in full view of the owner for the coverage to be effective. Can you guys believe that one? So from the testimony I've heard I would go with Hagerty.<BR> <A HREF="http://www.hagerty.com/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.hagerty.com/</A> <P>If you're wondering, I'm not an agent .. grin.gif" border="0

I called Grundy's once and they told me that the value of the car had to be over $10,000 and the annual mileage under 5000. But I have a reverse-thing going with my value under $5000 and the mileage over $10,000.<P>Hey Anders, can I open a Swedish insurance account like a Swiss bank account wink.gif" border="0 <P>CyberBuick, I got my car running good enough, but I don't feel like I have much to brag about. <P>Sounds like Electric insurance and Hagerty are both worth a try.

I own my own insurance agency and have been<BR>in business for 39 years.<P>We were originally a Statefarm agent from<BR>1963 to 1976. Become an independent broker<BR>in 1976.<P>Haggerty and American Collectors are two<BR>of the bigger insurance companies for specialty cars. However, the restrictions<BR>are as follows:<BR> <BR>1) Limited miles a year. Usually 2500 or<BR> less.<BR>2) Vehicle cannot be used as back-up or<BR> alternate transportation if your <BR> primary vehicle breaks down.<BR>3) Cannot be left in a parking lot<BR> unattended.<BR>4) Must have primary insurance company<BR> on main vehicles and the carrier<BR> must be a preferred carrier with<BR> a higher A.M. Best rating.<P>The collector type policy is very good if<BR>you are doing very limited driving. If you are using your collector car as a day to <BR>day driver, insuring your pride and joy<BR>under a collector type policy may not be<BR>the way to go.<P>Most important! READ THE small print.<BR>After your claim takes place is no time<BR>to find out you do not have coverage<BR>or overlooked an exlcusion.<P>Best of luck to you all. <P>Tully Man<BR>"We Insure It All"

Guest COMPACTBC

Hey Tomsriv, how old were you when you talked to Grundy Ins.? I think they have different rules for people under 25 like most insurance companies. All my cars are insured with Grundy and some are valued way under $10,000. They have a very good "agreed value" policy with NO mileage limitation. BTW I was an independent insurance broker for over 30 years. rolleyes.gif" border="0

I have my cars insured through Hagerty and they said " we know you are going to drive them ,but you only drive one at a time so we do not care how many miles you put on . I have dirven my 37 8,000 ,my 40 2,000 ,my 57 5,000 and my 72 2,000 this summer and no one has ever asked for oddometer checks. smile.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0

I'm insured through Great American Insurance Group out of Hartford, CT. I have my current agreed value at $5000 and my premium is $100/year. My mileage limit is 3000/year.<P>Their toll free number is 800.531.9010 if you are interested.

• 9 years later...

I just renewed with Heacock, when I looked into collector insurance, they were the only ones interested in insuring the Reatta.

One Reatta with stated value of $15K and my 1939 Century with value of $25K runs $321 per year. The Reatta alone on my regular policy was $250+ without stated value.

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)

I'll have to check into hagerty.....I just switched my home and auto over to Farmer's from AIG and they are an agent for JC Taylor.

All in all, I saved well over $1000 a year.

On 6 "antique" cars with about a $45,000 total agreed value, I think my policy is about $325 a year, down from $160 per car with AIG and no agreed value.

(problem is that I can only get 5 of the 6 into my 2 car and 2.5 car garages....yes, 2 full size buicks and a Model T will fit in a 2.5 car garage, with about 6 inches of clearance. :) )

Age, driving record, marital status, credit score, and zip code (plus a lot more) all go into figuring your rates for regular insurance...not sure much more than driving record goes into collector car ins.

Edited by bhclark (see edit history)