gasoline observations

old-tank

Completed a 2 week trip from south central Texas to the Nationals and back by way of Boston: drove over 4700 miles and used 300 gallons of regular unleaded in my 55 Century 322 rebuilt with low compression pistons (125lbs cranking compression).<BR>The lowest posted price I saw was 1.089 and the highest was 1.899 for regular unleaded...the lowest and highest I paid was 1.169 and 1.689. The lowest prices were in Texas and Arkansas; the highest was in eastern NY, MA, etc.<BR>Sorry to all who live there but the gas in the northeast STINKS: it had a foul odor when I pumped it and burned the eyes, it stunk when the car was idling, the drivability was horrible...lumpy idling,dying hesitation,and poor gas mileage ( gas mileage was 17-17.5 mpg until I got into that stinking gas and fell to 12-13mpg). Even the diesel trucks smelled bad. Also don't buy gas from the Seneca indians in southwestern NY...all of the local gas was 1.599 and their's was 1.309 (s good deal, right?) BUT I put 22 gallons in a 20 gallon tank when I expected to put in 18 gallons! ( Their pumps did not have the state weights and measures seal.)<BR>I had an encounter with a lady(?) in PA who was filling her Geo Metro at the next pump...she asked what my gas mileage was and after I told her she proceded to give a speech on the environment and that I was the reason the gas prices were so high! She drove off in a huff when I told her that I had a dozen oil wells back in TX (not true) and thanked her for buying my high priced gas!<BR> Other than gas I only used 2 quarts of oil...no other repairs or adjustments (should have put in a SBC so I could have had more fun fixing it on the road)<BR>Willie

Willie,<BR>Us "Lucky" folks in the northeast get to use the re-formulated "Oxygenated" fuel. It contains a substance called MTBE (Methyl Tertiary Butyl Ether if my spelling is correct) which is a type of alcohol. It litterally stinks! The theory is that it will reduce polution by releasing more oxygen as it burns. What I believe it actually does is lean out the fuel/air ratio as alcohol burns at a different rate than gasoline.<BR>The fun things it really does is break down rubber parts in the fuel system leading to early replacement of rubber gas hoses, fuel pump diaphrams and carb parts. <BR>We used to use it only in the winter, but now it is a year round fuel. <BR>Oh for the old days of Sunoco 260 and Shell leaded premiums!<BR>Regards,<BR>Mark

The gas here in the Northeast does stink and it makes the cars run like s%#$. I have gone to using 100 low lead airplane fuel in the winter when the car sets. It has a shelf life of 3 years and the car runs great when brought out in the spring.

Guest COMPACTBC

Thanks to some of our more enlightened politicians here in California, we are scheduled to get rid of MTBE in our gasoline in a year. NOT SOON ENOUGH IN MY OPINION. Several water wells have had to be shut down here due to MTBE contamination. It mixes readyly with water and does not deteriorate over time. It has been linked to cancer. The enviromentalists in their misguided attempt to clean up our air have suceeded in poisening our water supply. mad.gif" border="0

I buy it at a small airport (100 low lead)that is about 2 miles from my house. It costs $2.84 a gallon and worth every penny. It is available at local airports. Don Garlits now puts this in his museum cars and has had good luck. The regular gas gummed up all the carb's.

Mark,<P>Us folks in CA use gas with MTBE in it and it doesn't stink too bad. Some brands worse then others (Cheveron comes to mind). Shell doesn't seem to stink as bad even tho they don't use the rubber thing on the nozzle.<P>The usage (and side effects) of MTBE prompts me to ask the question, are there any stations in NY or CA that "don't" have MTBE in it?<P>A side note to those enviromental freaks who think our cars are the cause, try the state & gubmit who adds MTBE to the gas. Talk about a pollutant!<P>my spare change<P>-Scott

I had a shock last week concerning gas prices. Here in the San Francisco bay area "mid" grade is about $2.09. I took a weekend trip 2 1/2 hours south to Fresno and the same is $1.89 at the most. The refineries that make the stuff are HERE, what kind of crap is that? Anyone who doesn't think that WE are being made a fool of IS the fool. mad.gif" border="0

Scott,<BR>From what I have read about MTBE in NY is that the fuel is required in larger populated areas. Most counties near NYC use it. Other areas like Albany and Poughkeepsie as well.<BR>I live in Ulster county which I thought was not supposed to have it. However, when you pump the gas into the car, it sures smells like it has it. <BR>They may have changed the requirements making it state wide. I sure wish our "brain dead" politicians here would get rid of it too.<BR>Mark

Guest Shaffer

I am glad I live in the Southeast. I never knew about the stinky fuel in the Northeast. The lowest fuel price I have noticed for regular unleaded in my city was about $1.13 per gal. It is good to see gas prices falling though, but for how long?

For a biased, but well researched site for information on MTBE, see <A HREF="http://www.oxybusters.com" TARGET=_blank>www.oxybusters.com</A> . <P>By the way, the environmentalists <I> <B> never </I> </B> wanted MTBE. It was proposed as a substitute for the less profitable (and less patentable) ethanol. Also, if I recall correctly, Chevron never used the stuff (the only oil company to do so in CA).<p>[ 07-29-2001: Message edited by: Dave@Moon ]

Every Cheveron that I've seen in CA has MTBE in it, and you can smell it too! Some stations worse then others. I prefer the shell pump vs cheveron.<P>-S

Guest COMPACTBC

IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT GAS STATION YOU GO TO IN CALIFORNIA, EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM USE "MTBE". THE EPA IS GOING TO POLLUTE OUR ENTIRE WATER SUPPLY, "BUT THE AIR WILL BE CLEANER" IF YOU ARE NOT TOO SICK FROM THE POLLUTED WATER TO BREATH IT. mad.gif" border="0

Part of the reason for high prices is that the individual stations are charging what the traffic will bear. Sometimes it is a certain area...isolated county or city. Sometimes there is a 30 cent difference in price within a mile or so; i've noticed this in Dallas and San Antonio...near identical Mobile stations and both are equally busy! Apparently not everybody is as price consious as I am.<P>Willie

After spending yesterday trying to cure my knocking, I went hunting and am here to share what I've found. This applies to people in Southern CA only however.<P>You 'can' buy racing fuel of upto 118 octane at certain locations. The catch(s). They're few & far-between and you must have a card to use them unless you live in SantaFe Springs.<P><A HREF="http://cosbyoil.com/racegas.htm" TARGET=_blank>Unocal Racing Gas</A><P>The above is a link to where I found this information. I called the number and was given a few locations, transfered and told that I must have a CNG card to use it. It's your standard gas card with a pin, no fees or anything mentioned. Stations are mainly un-maned and the card activates everything. People who live in or willing to drive to SantaFe Springs can use a will-call window to purchase the fuel with cash. Lucky ducks.<P>I know this is a bit off-topic, but after reading through past threads, I thought this might fit in faily well. I have no idea of cost, but we're getting jacked already anyways, so why not at least make use of it.<P>on topic: prices 'round here go from $1.59 to $1.89 for 87 octane.<P>Hope I wasn't to far off topic. :-(<P>-Scott

That stuff MTBE is made here in Cheyenne, Wyoming. However, we do not have to use it; it is sold to refiners who sell to places the feds say need it. Some fuel here does contain 10% ethanol, but not all. Fuel prices here today: $1.249 at independent station; $1.259 at Total; $1.329 or 1.279 at various Conocos.

Here in western NY (Buffalo / Rochester) we do not have MTBE. They started to use it during the winter about 5 years ago (and boy did it make my car run like S***) but for some reason they stopped. Not sure why they stopped but I sure am glad they did. <P> Gas prices here are about $1.43 for 87 octane.