1947 Lincoln Continental, not mine.

6 hours ago, TAKerry said:

For the restoration cost of one of these I dont think getting paid to haul one away is a 'good buy'!

Correct observation.  This is a $2000 car, maybe a bit more.   Cost to restore likely north of $150,000.   Is that color Burgundy?   At least it has nice colors.  

• Like 1

This is one of those cars to me that if given the perfect opportunity, I would own one. But Im not going out of my way. They look way too frumpy IMO. Front is waaay too long and the trunk looks like it was stuck in 1935.

Don’t care for the styling after ‘41, but I think a buyer could part that car out for easily twice the asking price.

7 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

the Norma Desmond of collector cars

am big. It’s the design studios that got small!

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

This is one of those cars to me that if given the perfect opportunity, I would own one. But Im not going out of my way. They look way too frumpy IMO. Front is waaay too long and the trunk looks like it was stuck in 1935.

Yes, the 1942 front end redesign really ruined this car.  They wanted to move from a vertical front end to horizontal, following the styling trends of the time.  But they made it really clunky-looking compared to the graceful prow of the earlier design.

28 minutes ago, neil morse said:

Yes, the 1942 front end redesign really ruined this car.  They wanted to move from a vertical front end to horizontal, following the styling trends of the time.  But they made it really clunky-looking compared to the graceful prow of the earlier design.

The hapless 1942 and 1946-'48 Lincolns were the victims of following a suddenly popular styling trend.  The 1940-'41 Lincolns were fleet, lithe and graceful, with fine, even delicate detailing.  Conversely, the 1941 Cadillacs are very architectural: a highly ornamented imposing facade, every area   decorated with jewelry-like detail to delight and entertain the eye.  They're polar opposite design themes.  

How could Edsel Ford and E.T. Gregorie have handled this transition without ending up with a heavy, clunky, blunt work-up they did for 1942.   They already had a design in production with all the elements that needed only refinement and messaging to become the 1942 Lincolns: tall, bull-nose hood, twin grilles divided by body color, high, squared-off grille shapes, broad, high catwalks between the hood and fenders: the 1941 Mercury frontal design configuration.  For the Lincolns, the diecast grilles, perhaps eggcrate style, lights and placements, emblems and details appropriate to a luxury car would have been a better approach.

'41 Lincoln Continental front a.jpg

'41 Mercury front a.jpg

• Like 1