1948 Plymouth Special De Lux - $27,950

A lot of money for this model but it sure looks nice! (more pics in ad) 

https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/d/hubbard-1948-plymouth-special-de-lux/7779791617.html

For sale is our beautiful 1948 Ford De Lux. Car is in amazing condition and runs perfectly. It has a 6 cylinder and a 3 speed transmission with over drive. Car has 36,515 actual miles and one of the nicest examples of a 48 De Lux around. If you have any questions feel free to call, text, or email me 971-207-2656

1948 Plymouth Special De Lux 100101_ewxmOQsiK6M_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00f0f_beOx7Gx90B0_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00606_4J1Yoc666VB_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00909_dybiTBbonFm_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00V0V_1BGpDD1UaCR_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00606_iFxJfLm0yr5_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

I don't generally like modified cars, but this one looks like a lot of fun with very mild "period" mods.  Interior looks outstanding.  But price seems a bit high for this model.  Also very odd that the seller refers to it as "our beautiful 1948 Ford De Lux" in the ad copy -- you'd think they would catch an error of that magnitude!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, neil morse said:

I don't generally like modified cars, but this one looks like a lot of fun with very mild "period" mods.  Interior looks outstanding.  But price seems a bit high for this model.  Also very odd that the seller refers to it as "our beautiful 1948 Ford De Lux" in the ad copy -- you'd think they would catch an error of that magnitude!

The phrase “our beautiful 1948 Ford De Lux” started ringing alarm bells for me. It seems highly unlikely that the owner selling a Plymouth would make that mistake. And the price is very high for a Plymouth of that era, a mark of either wild optimism on the seller or ignorance of the market for that car. I wonder if some scammer found those photos on the Internet and decided to make some money selling a car that wasn’t theirs.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, ply33 said:

It seems highly unlikely that the owner selling a Plymouth would make that mistake.

But the odd part is that the car is correctly identified (albeit with a misspelling of "De Luxe") in the heading for the ad.  The reference to Ford is only in the ad copy.  There is really no logical explanation for it, but I doubt that it's a scam.  The price is not totally out of whack given the condition of the car, just very optimistic.

This is an outstanding Plymouth coupe but my initial reaction when I read the ad was it was just another fishing expedition with a unrealistic high price that's way out of line. I find it unusual to call a Plymouth a Ford and not correct that obvious mistake after the ad has been posted for several days. I don't know how anyone could call a Deluxe model a De Lux either when there are Deluxe badges at least three places on the car and possibly in the paperwork. Also overdrive should be one word. And a car for sale in Portland, Oregon with an Arizona license plate displayed on the back kinda raises some red flags. Scam or not, IMO the car would look better with the original hubcaps installed instead of those later full (1954?) Chrysler wheelcovers that detract from the looks of the car.

• Like 2