1941 Buick starter

3rdowner

Good day all.  My 1941 Buick Fireball in-line 8 has started flawlessly since purchase 4 years ago. It is fair to say the restoration prior to my ownership was done correctly.  Now for the issue: when I press down on the pedal, on occasion, there is no noise/response.  At other times the action hesitates.  Both of these situations are new.  I suspect that I may have damaged something by what I call a “soft shoe” attempt at starting the car.  I did press on the gas/starter a couple of times when the car was running (it is so quiet).  Last, I suspect that I may have compromised the contacts surfaces on the starter relay.  I’m thinking of checking the gap and cleaning the contacts with a piece on emery cloth.  However, I ALWAYS seek the input of those (y’all) in the know.

Dave

• Like 1

The starter wont engage when the car is running. At least, not if it's wired correctly.  Suspect the carb switch or a loose wire on it or the starter relay. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Oldtech said:

The starter wont engage when the car is running. At least, not if it's wired correctly.  Suspect the carb switch or a loose wire on it or the starter relay. 

What he said.   Check the switch that is mounted on, or near, the carburetor.   Should find two wires connected to same.  Next time a no start situation occurs, jump the connections with a short piece of wire. Bet it start.

Ben

• Like 3

Thank you Oldtech and Ben.  I drive the car daily and will check the switch tomorrow.  On a side note, and note germane to this topic, I’m still trying to figured t how to change the passenger lights located on the back of the front seat (it’s a convertible). Any hints?  I have thought of just pulling on the outer bezel, but I have learned that using brute force can be expensive:-)

Some very detailed guidance on the carb starting -  electrics in the 1942 shop manual.

https://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/manuals/Buick/1942/Shop Manual/13 Electrical System/image11.html

Download the 1942 Buick shop manual for free. All of it section by section.

Or click the pdf link to pay.

http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/manuals/Buick/1942/Shop Manual/

It is very comprehensive and has information that can be used with all straight 8’s.

It has more information than was included in older “Shop Manuals” before 1942

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

The switch on the carburetor is different between the 248 and the 320 and can have different failures. Jumping the two connections can definitely isolate the switch as a problem.  What have you found so far?

22 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

What he said.   Check the switch that is mounted on, or near, the carburetor.   Should find two wires connected to same.  Next time a no start situation occurs, jump the connections with a short piece of wire. Bet it start.

Ben

Yup.  That switch can stick because it is activated by carb vacuum, and crud and carbon can accumulate in it.  Easy to take it off and blow carb cleaner through it.  Watch out for the little gasket between the switch and carb.