For Sale: 1953 Mercury Monterey 2dr Hardtop - $18,000 - Newton, IL - Not Mine

For Sale: 1953 Mercury Monterey 2dr Hardtop - $18,000 - Newton, IL

1953 mercury monterey for sale by owner - Newton, IL - craigslist
Seller's Description:

1953 Mercury Monterey with flathead 255, automatic, with like new Coker tires, new carburetor. Car is in really good shape for its age. Any questions just give me a text. cash or wire transfer.
Copy and paste in your email: 0dcde08e137c33189d145cdb621e3fe2@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1953 Mercury Monterey 2dr Hardtop.

'53 mercury monterey IL a.jpg

'53 mercury monterey IL b.jpg

'53 mercury monterey IL c.jpg

'53 mercury monterey IL d.jpg

'53 mercury monterey IL e.jpg

'53 mercury monterey IL f.jpg

'53 mercury monterey IL g.jpg

'53 mercury monterey IL h.jpg

'53 mercury monterey IL i.jpg

'53 mercury monterey IL j.jpg

'53 mercury monterey IL k.jpg

'53 mercury monterey IL l.jpg

• Like 5

This Mercury is pretty cool!  If I were a buyer I would think of this as something you could buy and immediately drive.  Wasn't this the last year of the flathead?  Is that a hole in the trunk floor in the lower left corner of the photo; at least it's not masked by a trunk mat!

53mercurymontereyILi.jpg.3a016fa02c2f9c1b7c7e3b98b31d768a.jpg

Edited by deac (see edit history)

38 minutes ago, deac said:

Is that a hole in the trunk floor in the lower left corner of the photo; at least it's not masked by a trunk mat!

I'll give the seller the benefit of the doubt and say it's just a hole in the mat, not the floor metal. With the solid looking spare tire well and the new gas tank, I doubt the seller would allow a hole ln the floor to exist.

I'm not a big fan of continental kits, but this one is not too bad. Early '50's coupes were short enough, in my opinion, to handle the added length. Plus it's a period correct accessory. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 7th Son said:

I'll give the seller the benefit of the doubt and say it's just a hole in the mat, not the floor metal. With the solid looking spare tire well and the new gas tank, I doubt the seller would allow a hole ln the floor to exist.

I'm not a big fan of continental kits, but this one is not too bad. Early '50's coupes were short enough, in my opinion, to handle the added length. Plus it's a period correct accessory. 

That's one old mat. There comes a point in time when something is too old and decrepit to save - I think that trunk mat falls into that category.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hans1965 said:

I cannot imagine at all how it must have been in the 50s in the US. With such beautiful cars everywhere symbolizing optimism and joy, did they lift peoples spirits? 

Yes, to a certain extent, but we always had the "Cold War" to worry about.  Then, Sputnik flew over and everyone freaked out.  Then the Space Race was on too.

On 8/8/2024 at 10:52 AM, Hans1965 said:

I cannot imagine at all how it must have been in the 50s in the US. With such beautiful cars everywhere symbolizing optimism and joy, did they lift peoples spirits? 

I wasn't around then, but I read quite a lot.

I think it wasn't as much that cars lifted spirits,

but that high spirit lifted car design into beauty

and color.  The decade was prosperous, and

after World War II and the Korean War, people

could get back to business.  Larger families were

the norm.  Car design advanced rapidly, and

many people looked forward each year to the

day when dealerships unveiled the new designs.

I've noticed that car colors tend to reflect the

optimism of the era, or lack thereof.  Colors were

bright in the 1920's and 1950's for instance, 

then became rather dour in the 1930's.

• Like 3