39 Special on BAT

Sharp!

Good color.

I’m not partial to mohair on seats, and gray upholstery might be more typical on a blue car, but if I was looking for a nice ‘39, this one would be in the running.

Thanks for posting.

An early production model

• small wiper transmission
  • fine grille with 1 horizontal bar
  • 15 MPH speedo (later went to 10 MPH)

Lists number 4621190. That is an engine number, so guessing that is on the title. Not the frame/chassis number

Data Plate

Trim 700 = novelty bedford cord (tan)

To me the fabric used is different from that.  Door cards in the original pattern.

Paint 536 = Yosemite Gray (Lt)

The blue is much brighter than stock colors. 

The wheels do not have pin strips. An easy addition if done carefuly

Does not have the woven rope grabs at the rear doors on C pillar.

Steering wheel plastic rim cracked-broken. Repro's available at a big $$$. 

Cast alloy horn ring is good. Often distorted

Blue paint on the (after market?) heater a little odd

Window garnish moldings may be painted plain, and not wood grain pattern. My 39's have brown screws and not shiny SS. Not so noticeable.

Running board rubber and side trim is very good. 

Has external chrome trim on windows. Normally only on series 60.  Think it was an option, but not 100% sure

Missing is the trunk lining fabric. Repro's available at a $$$.

Trunk lid sound deading material not over painted so very good. Many are over painted.

Does have the rear bumper stone guard. Many to most are missing on '39s.  And correctly installed under the brackets. Few are.  But is a distance from the rear valence.

A new (solid) hose from radiator to engine would be better

Is well presented with buffed up paint and chrome window trim. Had a lot of $$ spent for restoration.  Some one will buy it if a reasonable price. Are others in the market, including series 60 Century's and 2 door cars.

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)
  • Thanks 3

For reference a 1939 model 61 Century (understand is low mileage unrestored).  Likely the best 1939 61 in existence.  Was owned in MI by an ex GM Buick engineer.  This car was at the BCA "100 years of Buick" 2003 meet in Flint, MI

https://www.harwoodmotors.com/vehicles/inventory_details.php?id=1795

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

Barney:

My "C" Judging group had a late registration of a 1939 Century Convertible Coupe. Dark, dark Blue with tan top and red leather. I hope someone got a good photo. A really outstanding car. It was the last car we judged.