1958 Ford Fairlane Skyliner - 35k CAD - Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta - Delisted

This one is a fair bit cheaper then most Skyliners that I've seen on the market, possibly due to the location. Something feels strange about the paint, but other then that, it looks like it'd be a solid driver?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/strathcona-county/1958-ford-fairlane-skyliner/1698578673

eee51287-2fea-4884-9599-ed4834826273.webp

84dcc7cc-c825-47a1-bf92-1f5c0aaf3081.webp

1557f776-8905-4e68-be1d-eaf4759c9c1f.webp

2fd75b58-07d9-49d7-8a00-4df6af9722be.webp

Edited by theconvertibleguy (see edit history)
  • Like 2

$25,293. USD.

Car has been lowered.

Non-stock paint color (colour), too orange.

Gold anodized aluminum side trim strip is not the original embossed pattern.

Interior follows factory pattern, seat material nay not be correct.

Phony accessory spot lights.

May or may not have lower rocker trim on driver's side.

Two toned steering wheel is not correct.

af7f15a3-9c2e-4b34-a57c-1c03cc11ec15?rule=kijijica-640-jpg

2fd75b58-07d9-49d7-8a00-4df6af9722be?rule=kijijica-640-jpg

Edited by 7th Son (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Also has lake pipes. Those cars are long in the trunk to begin with, the continental kit does not help! I have never noticed before but is that stock? I know theres not a lot of room inside for a spare.

32 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

Also has lake pipes. Those cars are long in the trunk to begin with, the continental kit does not help! I have never noticed before but is that stock? I know theres not a lot of room inside for a spare.

I agree that the long trunk does look a bit awkward on the Skyliner, but I can see the need for this given the hard top storage and the need for an easily accessible spare tire. GLWTS

• Like 1

The spare tire is placed in the middle of the trunk with an indentation  allowing it be below deck height with a cover that fits overtop and makes the floor flat. Where is the gas tank? The Ford engineers moved it forward of the rear axle and it straddled the driveshaft. That is the reason the gas filler door is on the side of the car and not in the back as were the other Fords of the day. 

The extra length of the back fenders and the high “bustle” back look didn’t do the looks any favors. Adding the continental kit to the back just accentuates the “unusual” styling. Lastly the 58 Ford just didn’t look as good as the 1957 model, in any of its forms.

Lew Bachman

1957 Thunderbird

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Fossil said:

These must have been an engineering nightmare. 

Initially, the retractable hardtop was developed as part of the Continental Mark II program, it was planned to be one of its exclusive features.  After two million was spent on developing a fully functional prototype, management figured out there wouldn't be enough Mark II sales volume to even begin to cover the cost.  At that point, further development and 'productionizing' was turned over to Ford Division engineering for inclusion in the all-new 1957 Fords and subsequent model lines.  The additional cost was eighteen million dollars before it came to production. 

So, what were the benefits of all that engineering and investment?   Much of what was learned was applied to the 1958-'66 Thunderbird and 1958-'67 Lincoln Continental convertibles although they had conventional soft tops.  The sequential operations wired through limit switches, electric motors and hydraulic rams was what accomplished this trick function without any more human effort than pushing a button.  Folks loved the whiz-bang technology.

• Like 1

• theconvertibleguy changed the title to 1958 Ford Fairlane Skyliner - 35k CAD - Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta - Delisted