Muffler for '65 Gran Sport

Can anyone suggest sources for replacement muffler for my '65 GS?

My car has a Waldron's 2 1/4" Gran Sport aluminized exhaust system with resonators which was installed about 15 years ago.  I had the car up on a hoist yesterday and noticed a 4" crack in the muffler casing with rust bubbling along the lowest portion of the transverse water heater style muffler.  There isn't any exhaust leaking from the muffler, and the car sounds the same as it always has.  But, in anticipation of the day when the rust perforates the muffler, I want to be prepared.

Waldron's website lists an aluminized muffler for $265.  The same in 409 stainless steel is $530 (ouch!)

Can I extend the life of the muffler by coating the rusted area with POR-15?

Will the stainless steel replacement muffler change the exhaust sound of the car?

Are there any other suppliers out there that carry mufflers for 1st Gen Rivieras?

Thanks for sharing any info you might have!

I don’t think the POR-15 will do much for you as these mufflers have a common problem of rusting from the inside out.

Some say a stainless exhaust will sound different but I have never swapped one out so I have no personal experience to reference.

I have used Waldron’s from time to time and was always satisfied.  I have not tried another source.

Edited by Pat Curran
Update content (see edit history)

4 hours ago, 65VerdeGS said:

Can I extend the life of the muffler by coating the rusted area with POR-15?

The best thing you can do is always try to run the car fully up to operating temperature.  Short run cycles allow water vapor in the exhaust to condense in the muffler and collect at the bottom.  There should be a small weep hole in one of the end caps; use a piece of stiff wire to check that it is open.  If you don't see one you can drill a small hole at the lowest point right above the end cap crimp.

How could you Find a Hole in the Car Muffler

• Like 3

My cars have quiet, well fitting exhaust systems. I plan on making minor repairs as need to these existing systems. I would drop the muffler, cut it open, make repairs, and add new sound deadener.

Whenever possible I find NOS or mandrel bent aftermarket NORS pipes and mufflers. I would only have custom pipes bent if I was onsite and working with the bender. If I could have accrued classroom credits for paid exhaust system knowledge I would be between a Masters and a Doctorate right about now. And all practical factors completed.

5 hours ago, EmTee said:

The best thing you can do is always try to run the car fully up to operating temperature.  Short run cycles allow water vapor in the exhaust to condense in the muffler and collect at the bottom.  There should be a small weep hole in one of the end caps; use a piece of stiff wire to check that it is open.  If you don't see one you can drill a small hole at the lowest point right above the end cap crimp.

How could you Find a Hole in the Car Muffler

Great info EmTee!

My current muffler is clearly rusting from the inside out.  If the replacement doesn't have a weep hole, I'll drill a small hole as you suggest.

• Like 1

Above I recommended repairing your existing components if they fit well. My experience with shop bent vendor's mail order components ha been very disappointing. They cannot duplicate the quality of NOS or aftermarket manufactured pipes and mufflers. I will buy spare manufactured components for my cars but will repair my own if they rust or lose deadener. In the early 1990's I first repaired a Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud muffler that would have cost $3500 to replace. It was easy to adopt that philosophy when mail order providers let me down. 

I will buy manufactured  NOS or NORS components for spares when I can. Below is an NOS over the axle pipe I bought many years ago from Jolly John. It is what I look for in fitment.

The first generation Riviera used a ball and flange connection at the muffler.

IMG_0757.JPG.24acb58eda34aba2c00c1f7322b235ac.JPG

The flange is well formed and not welded to the pipe. The flange is heavy stamped steel. Some fabricators provide flat flanges, nuts, and cut threaded rod. That can force you into their full system if you just need to replace one component.

IMG_0756.JPG.4e37bf0b5fe6895d77a661814749c21b.JPG

I have found the flange on shop made pipes to be shallow. I have pipes from one vendor that have a contact area of less than 3/16". They slid through the flanges when tightened.

IMG_0754.JPG.03db101135e09da056d5640dda44c81f.JPG

My '60 Electra is the system I got beat up the worst on. Starting with a $500 shop fabbed mail order system. I had $1600 in a somewhat cobbled system that was quiet and did not rattle. I also missed the BCA Danvers National Meet monkeying around with it.

Be cautious about your replacement, try to buy NOS or NORS, consider repairing, and take preventive action by always driving your car 10 miles if you start it, even to move it one car width over in the driveway. I always do that.

IMG_0755.JPG

Note: My wife just walked by and I showed her my pointing picture. I told her "Look at that. Those guys are going to say "That guy's no mechanic! Look at that finger."

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Thank you. Long time Buick guy. I really don't have to spend time working on the cars.

I take long walks along the Erie Canal towpath in remote places. My wife worries about me failing medically in the wilds. I tell her if I am found they will look for a missing priest. "Well, this guy never did any work."

The message about the pipes is valid... and costly.

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

I took the easy way out - Sorry Bernie!  I called Ruth, the nice lady who works the phone at Waldron's Exhaust, and ordered a new aluminized muffler for my '65 Gran Sport.  My luck they had one sitting on the shelf!  For a mere $265 plus $45 shipping I should have it to my door in a couple of weeks. 

Tip: if you order from the Waldron's website the shipping cost will be $15 cheaper.  Don't ask why, just order online and save!

• Thanks 1

I have talked with Ruth. She is really nice.

I just had a flashback to when my Mom used to take Valium because two of her three kids caused so much trouble. She got through the day.