Prewar Buick owners in SF Bay Area?

Hey Folks,

I'm a new pre-war Buick owner, specifically 1938 Buick Special 41 Touring Sedan. I was curious, are there any folks in the SF Bay Area? Specifically East Bay?

Thanks,

FG.

8 hours ago, fedoragent said:

Hey Folks,

I'm a new pre-war Buick owner, specifically 1938 Buick Special 41 Touring Sedan. I was curious, are there any folks in the SF Bay Area? Specifically East Bay?

Thanks,

FG.

There’s a lot of Buick owners in the East Bay. Here’s a pic of some partner’s of mine at a car show in San Jose two weeks ago. Four out of the five in that line up are Buick’s there’s a 38 convertible, 35 convertible, 36 three window coup, 33 Olds, 37 convertible 4 of the 5 are Buicks. The other pic is mine a 36 Buick three window coup all East Bay Fellas 

C3D4897E-30E8-4D53-AF5C-7ACFFD9A2634.png

800145D1-B19C-40BE-A81A-833E2AA93953.png

• Like 2

Hey guys good to meet you! Do you guys have any pre-war Buick friendly mechanics that you guys can suggest? Also, I am in dire need of buying a new set of tires. Any tire shop suggestions? My car has....very. old. BG Silvertowns on them...and they're not even the right size. 

Also, I'd enjoy meeting you guys sometime. I live over in the Pinole area, but spend a great deal of time in San Leandro and San Mateo. I'm in SF occasionally too.

15 hours ago, fedoragent said:

Do you guys have any pre-war Buick friendly mechanics that you guys can suggest?

Haha -- my "go to" pre-war Buick friendly mechanic is @DonMicheletti!  But I am extremely fortunate.  If you post specific questions here on the forum, you will get plenty of good answers from Don and many other knowledgeable people.  Also, @Grimy is not a Buick owner but is very knowledgeable about resources in the East Bay.  I think he can recommend a good local tire shop that could help you.

If you order tires from one of the classic tire companies (e.g., Coker, Lucas, etc.) they should be able to recommend an installer near you.

26 minutes ago, neil morse said:

Haha -- my "go to" pre-war Buick friendly mechanic is @DonMicheletti!  But I am extremely fortunate.  If you post specific questions here on the forum, you will get plenty of good answers from Don and many other knowledgeable people.  Also, @Grimy is not a Buick owner but is very knowledgeable about resources in the East Bay.  I think he can recommend a good local tire shop that could help you.

Neil, I'm a previous Buick owner--I learned to drive on my great-aunt's 1934 56S in Mountain View Cemetery and had the car until about 17 yrs ago when I needed space for another Pierce.

My new tire outfit is Tri-Valley Tire, 2823 Alvarado St, San Leandro, 510-454-9244, the site of the old George Oren Tire.  They do medium-duty and big-rig tires, too, and recently moved a tire and tube from a failed wheel on my 1930 Pierce (lock ring) to a good spare wheel.  They are family owned and eager to please, and willing to accommodate old-car folks.  A year or two ago, they installed new tires on a friend's 1928 Pierce equipped with demountable rims.  They close at 4:30 and are NOT open Saturday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Grimy said:

Neil, I'm a previous Buick owner--I learned to drive on my great-aunt's 1934 56S in Mountain View Cemetery and had the car until about 17 yrs ago when I needed space for another Pierce.

George, I certainly didn't intend to question your Buick bona fides!  I should have said "not a current Buick owner."   Your great-aunt's car sounds great -- I bet it was a real cream puff.

10 minutes ago, neil morse said:

Your great-aunt's car sounds great -- I bet it was a real cream puff.

Alas, no, it needed everything.  I was going to Do It Right when I was older, but when I got older I got hooked on Pierces!  🙂 

16 minutes ago, fedoragent said:

Nice, do you guys ever get together? 

It has been too long, a couple of years, Neil?

There is also our member here @Bob Jacobsen in Los Altos who has and drives a 1938 46C in addition to a couple of Pierces and Jags, and a Stutz.

1 hour ago, fedoragent said:

Nice, do you guys ever get together? 

Don, George (Grimy), and I are friends and have gotten together various times over the last several years, but not in any organized way.  I would be happy to meet up with you, send me a PM if you'd like to get together.  I am happy to drive my Buick to the East Bay -- good exercise for both me and the car.

• Like 3