In the pit

I am not sure, but I think the U.S.C.C.C. license plate means United States Civilian Conservation Corps. In a small out of the way town in Northern California when I was in high school, my dad owned the early cable television system. Half the homes in the town were in the old CCC training facility. Which I heard had began as a federal facility. When they budget cut the CCC, and shut the place down half the town dried up and blew away.

Anybody want to google it and find out if I am right?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rod P said:

(being Wikipedia often has  a slanted view on reality

thank you , indeed it does and so many people take what it says as the truth that is undeniable , so if they quote "facts" from that then they are perfect too...........................

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rod P said:

Don't know if this is correct (being Wikipedia often has  a slanted view on reality)

6 hours ago, Walt G said:

thank you , indeed it does and so many people take what it says as the truth that is undeniable , so if they quote "facts" from that then they are perfect too...........................

Sadly, same can be said of vast majority of "History" books ever published, regardless of their topic. 🙄

4 hours ago, JFranklin said:

Wikipedia isn't perfect, but it does allow you to make corrections if you are willing. 

And like in any other media (i.e. books, magazines, TV, etc) publishing, who guarantees/knows those "corrections" are based on facts, let alone reality, regardless of who makes them ? 🤔

After a lifetime of amateur/hobbyist, but enthusiastic observations/studies of various topics in (published) history, I’ve come to believe it, the history, generally has three perspectives/viewpoints, Prevailing, Opposing and Reality.
The first two may not have much in common with the third, especially if they aren’t firsthand accounts and even those tend to have bias, some more than others.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Rod P, Thank you for posting that link. Although I didn't read the political history dissertation portion of it, the general overview is basically what I thought (and think) I knew about it. 

When we were involved in the area with the cable television system in the 1960s, the cheaply built housing was nearly thirty years of age. Long before then, the place had become the "California Conservation Corps". The state had taken over the facility after the federal abandoned it during the war. However, all the regular local residents knew of it having been a federal program years before. Being a conservative back-hills area, a lot of the locals had not been fans of FDR. Their occasional mentions of the local facility were often colorfully enhanced (probably sped up the closure of the facility?). Due to the mountains, local antenna/off-air television reception was generally not possible. The local population was spread out over miles of low population density roads. The CCC facility had a lot of small homes and shacks in a small area, inhabited by mostly city kids and sometimes their wives (state didn't continue the unmarried thing). They wanted their tv. The cable television system was therefore supported by the temporary residents of the  CCC encampment, with a tremendous customer turnover by everchanging short term residents. When the state decided to end the encampment, most of the old housing was abandoned or bulldozed. The cable television system was also abandoned as the few remaining local customers couldn't cover the maintenance costs to continue running the system.

My dad was a cable television pioneer. Educated as an electronics engineer, with a background in radio and early television, he was working on the designs for television distribution systems in the mid 1950s. He never made much money from that early cable television system. But for the rest of his life he liked to brag about it and say that he learned a lot from working on the system. Someone else had actually built the system originally. But they couldn't make it work. They didn't want to pay him to fix it, so they sold it to him cheap. I spent a couple weeks that summer working with him getting the system fixed up enough to work, and many trips for a few years doing the routine maintenance.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

I am not sure, but I think the U.S.C.C.C. license plate means United States Civilian Conservation Corps. In a small out of the way town in Northern California when I was in high school, my dad owned the early cable television system. Half the homes in the town were in the old CCC training facility. Which I heard had began as a federal facility. When they budget cut the CCC, and shut the place down half the town dried up and blew away.

Anybody want to google it and find out if I am right?

I knew that. WPA  and CCs were all part of Roosevelt's alphabet soup of programs to bring the country out of the depression

• Like 2