Desperately seeking a power brake booster for an '82 Riviera convertible

chas1963

Does anyone have a Cardone 52-7212 Power Brake Booster for a 1982 Buick Riviera convertible?  It also fits 1982-1985 Olds Toronado and 1982-1985 Cadillac ElDorado and Seville with 4 wheel disc brakes.  

482__82150.1687924858.jpg?c=1

Looks like a Hydroboost?

You may have to have your existing unit rebuilt. A quick "hydroboost rebuilders" search found several. Since a lot of Diesel vehicles use them there's support in that community.

I like Hydroboost. Very effective brakes even if the Hydroboost itself and its corresponding power steering pump can be prone to leaking.

As a tip for anyone working on one of these early 4 wheel disc brake cars the rear brakes need to be adjusted manually on completion of assembly with a special tool. It is a square adjuster like this Lisle Tools one.

Many times I have heard of people who could not get the pedal up after servicing and been led to misdiagnose problems.

image.jpeg.182ed17efb9f3c72b2343c4c55aff991.jpeg

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

That tool is used by many rear disc brake cars to retract the pads so new pads can be installed and clear the rotor. They will automatically adjust to the rotor after installation and a few steps on the brake pedal BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE PARKING SPACE!!!!  Nothing worse than backing out of the repair bay and running into another car from having no brakes. Nothing wrong, except not stepping on brakes to put the pads near the rotor. 😉

That booster should be rebuildable. I have a similar unit on my 81 ElDorado and Seville diesels.