What's the best oil for an old car?

1 hour ago, Larry Schramm said:

Take the rubber ring off where the arrow is pointing and the new filter will go on, no problem.

Here it is and it's not rubber. How can this flimsy little thing keep a heavy steel bolt from going into the hole? There is nothing else in the canister. Now what?

IMG_2059.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Post 4 clear photos:

First showing both new & old filter side-by-side (for height) on the table/workbench.

Second showing top ends of each filter side-by-side.

Third showing bottom ends of each filter side-by-side.

Fourth showing the inside of the canister with its bolt & spring.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

46 minutes ago, Dodge55Royal said:

Here it is and it's not rubber. How can this flimsy little thing keep a heavy steel bolt from going into the hole? There is nothing else in the canister. Now what?

IMG_2059.jpeg

I think Larry meant that the height of that thing was preventing you from being able to compress the oil filter and it’s spring enough to get the bolt started, not that it wasn’t large enough to have the bolt pass through it.

31 minutes ago, TTR said:

Post 4 clear photos:

First showing both new & old filter side-by-side (for height) on the table/workbench.

Second showing top ends of each filter side-by-side.

Third showing bottom ends of each filter side-by-side.

Fourth showing the inside of the canister with its bolt & spring.

There is nothing on the filter that says top or bottom. The new one and old one are the same part number so they are definitely the same size-trust me....

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Dodge55Royal said:

IMG_2059.jpeg

That is being used as a seal for the oil filter and is the old one.  When you take it off, put a little bit of oil on the black seal on the new filter and you should be able to install the new oil filter on the post.  Then look at in the canister to see if there is another black seal/flimsy thing there.  If so, remove it and with some oil for lubrication the canister should slip onto the filter.  The reason the bolt will not engage is because the old seals are keeping the canister from properly seating on the new large gasket that seals the canister. 

Maybe post a picture of the inside of the canister and both ends of the filter.

Hope that helps. 

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Yes, why keep the tip from us? It can help us in the future! This is why we have a forum.👍

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I was curious about the fit and Larry Schramm’s comment to remove the gasket ring on the engine’s filter plate.IMG_4728.jpeg.c2c4932ab90b960f08d2c0c10cab6c75.jpeg

Turns out the old original filters had a hole at the end for the gasket to fit in to.

The new Wix filters don’t have the hole.  Their filter’s gasket totally surrounds the hole.

IMG_4727.jpeg.ba26ea6597135ebdbe362940e0901d41.jpeg

So with the Wix filter the old gasket on the engine filter holder is not needed anymore. Good information from Larry!

Edited by TerryB (see edit history)

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JACK M said:

What was the tip?

The oil filter is on the passenger side on the lower rear part of the engine. I was trying to access it by leaning over the fender and reaching way down there. The tip was to remove the right front tire and then a piece of the inner fender held on by 4 bolts and access it that way which was obviously a lot easier....

Edited by Dodge55Royal (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Interesting!

2X on the Valvoline VR1 20-50.  Just switched for the zinc, always ran 15-40 full synthetic diesel.  Would add one more thing, my cars never ran detergent oil so in cleaning the engine, the filter fills up fast.  I changed my oil and filter every few hundred miles to see how bad the filter was.  My first filter plugged in about 100 miles, but it had been off the road since 1952.  Original 1933 engine still running great after over 10 years.  Now, I change the oil every fall just before I put it away for winter.  Hope you enjoy the car.