Cost to reupholster an old car 1940s era?

Part of the problem, IMHO, is the fact that the cost of most everything has seemingly doubled since the plague.  Big increases in labor and materials across-the-board over a short period of time.  Price expectations haven't readjusted yet...

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, EmTee said:

Part of the problem, IMHO, is the fact that the cost of most everything has seemingly doubled since the plague.  Big increases in labor and materials across-the-board over a short period of time.  Price expectations haven't readjusted yet...

You are probably right. But I know for sure my salary has not doubled. 🤣

• Like 2

Those sharpies doing all the public work would write up a specification and hand it out to a bunch of bidders. Then give the job to the lowest bidder. 

A classic example is the commandeered horse.

image.jpeg.0e4c39e430d527f40ff368315ec86033.jpeg

And the low bid boat.

Untitled.webp.84758293fa7c6e1a48cb822ea421c834.webp

• Haha 1

I’ve probably told this story before, but this discussion reminds me of it again.

Had a well to do gentleman referred to me by a friend, to do some upholstery work on an early car.

Did the work, presented the bill, the gentleman paid it without comment.

He then went to the mutual friend and stated that it was too much for the work done, it shouldn’t have cost that much.  My reply was, well, he should have said something to me.

The kicker is that a year goes by, friend calls me and says hey, would you do another job for this gentleman?  But wait, I said, he stated I was too expensive.  “Yeah, but he says you do really nice work and he likes it…..”

As to Ed’s interior costs, remember he lives in a world of high end cars and shops, where Pebble Beach restorations are $500 an hour or more.  I believe that’s where he’s coming from, but not to put words in his mouth, think he’s got that covered!  (Teasing, he’s a great friend of mine).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, trimacar said:

The kicker is that a year goes by, friend calls me and says hey, would you do another job for this gentleman?  But wait, I said, he stated I was too expensive.  “Yeah, but he says you do really nice work and he likes it…..”

My experience would say that "his friends approve of it".

Any job performed for hire on a collector car is eternally subject to the scrutiny of the observers. And their judgement appears to be held in the highest regard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1