When standing in front of car looking into engine bay which direction does engine crank?

emmd61

2 hours ago, emmd61 said:

I have a 64 Riviera garaged for 6 years.  I want to hand crank it over and prelube prior to start up.  What direction does engine crank over?

Unless you intend to prime the oil pump with an electric drill and/ or spray something in the cylinders to lubricate them, you would be better off getting the engine to start as quickly as possible in order to get oil pressure up to lubricate all the moving parts.  Otherwise, just turning the engine over by hand will do little more than rub dry parts together. Just my 2 cents...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What you need to do is remove the distributor and spin the oil pump driveshaft with a flat blade bit and extension clamped into an electric drill. the oil pump shaft rotates clockwise, as does the distributor shaft.

• Thanks 1

For priming and wanting to be cheap. I couldn't find a crummy screwdriver among my tools. New low quality screwdrivers can be had in a multi-pack, NG. So, a 3/8ths Wood Spade Bit for a couple of $$ with the pilot tip  ground flat from surplus, the easiest.

I have a spare distributor but, wanted to keep it whole and did not want to mess with it.

Edited by XframeFX (see edit history)

1 hour ago, gungeey said:

Strip the guts from a distributor and you end up with a nice oil pump primer that ruins off a drill. Not that the fella was asking. 

That's what I've done in the past. I told a friend to do that on a Chevy small block one time and he left out the important step of removing the drive gear from the distributor. You can guess how that worked out. :)