1941 Cadillac Series 61 Sedanette - $39,000 OBO Now $35K OBO

Not stock, but hardly a hot rod. Might be hard to sell, but I do like it. 

https://medford.craigslist.org/cto/d/shady-cove-1941-cadillac-series-61/7754819690.html

941 Cadillac Sedanette that has been held in private collections for more than 70 years. Body and floor of car in great condition. Car was repainted, along with new chrome and polished bright work about 25 years ago. Over the past three years have replaced tires, brake system, gas tank and sending unit. Replaced the flat head engine with a 1950 Cadillac 331 OHV engine. Engine rebuilt by Keller's machine shop, new water pump, radiator, starter, generator, fuel pump and carburetor are rebuilt. Starts right up easily with the electric fuel pump and drives like a Cadillac should. Three speed on the column, all gauges work, as well as the AM radio and heater. 90% of the interior is original with mohair seats and headliner. Car has an interesting history for those who are interested. Priced at $39.000.00 or Best Offer. Contact Steve at 510-375-770.

1941 Cadillac Series 61 Sedanette 100L0L_awDpZCVfq4S_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00c0c_iiyiE7gO2K_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00y0y_6OgnNmDmFC_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00j0j_iJYTYmestoz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00a0a_e4uvc96UJiw_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00Y0Y_1dFvqdfs8wK_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

Edited by Leif in Calif
price change (see edit history)

I also like this car. great color and looks good with the chrome wheels and whitewalls. OHV Cadillac V8s are good motors.  Lot's of money being asked.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, bryankazmer said:

Don’t the front and back seats normally match on original upholstery, excepting limo/town car????

"90% of the interior is original with mohair seats and headliner."

The seats are probably the other 10%. 🙂 Too bad the engine was swapped out.

I wonder if this engine swap might have been done back in the 1950's?  When the supply of Cadillac OHV V8's started to become available at wrecking yards in the early-mid-1950's, retrofitting them to a whole variety of cars popped up.  The B-Body Cadillac 61 fastback coupes were relatively lightweight, had a certain cache with the performance-oriented.  That might be how this combination came to be. 

• Like 3

Bill Frick  was a dealer in Rockville Center NY who specialized in transplanting the new Cadillac OHV into light weight Fords. Briggs Cunningham wanted to enter a "Fordillac" at  Le Mans in 1950, but the French said no, resulting in his entry of two Cadillacs (and 10th over all finish) that year.  

• Like 1

A few things strike me when I look at this car.   I am not a big fan of the blue paint color on the exterior and the engine.  As noted above, the the front and rear seats do not match, engine has been changed and the bat wing air cleaner is not original.  I'm no expert on Caddy's but this car is not completely original and customized enough and therefore I don't see the 39 grand ask; maybe 29.  

This Caddy straddles the line between original and modified and that's okay; but now the seller is possibly going to have a tougher time selling it.

Edited by deac (see edit history)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, deac said:

This Caddy straddles the line between original and modified and that's okay; but now the seller is possibly going to have a tougher time selling it.

I don’t see “straddling”    The paint, interior, and engine are all modified.  At least no Chevy engine and transmission

• Like 1

• Leif in Calif changed the title to 1941 Cadillac Series 61 Sedanette - $39,000 OBO Now $35K OBO

Nice car but not a 41 engine. Also I question the blue exterior color and wonder if that is an original Cadillac color from 1941.

19 hours ago, deac said:

Nice car but not a 41 engine. Also I question the blue exterior color and wonder if that is an original Cadillac color from 1941.

The ad states the engine is a 1950 (refer to the first post).

On 6/13/2024 at 7:09 AM, Leif in Calif said:

Bill Frick  was a dealer in Rockville Center NY who specialized in transplanting the new Cadillac OHV into light weight Fords. Briggs Cunningham wanted to enter a "Fordillac" at  Le Mans in 1950, but the French said no, resulting in his entry of two Cadillacs (and 10th over all finish) that year.  

Studillac is a name given to a customized aftermarket car assembled in Rockville Centre, New York between 1953 and 1955, comprising a hard-top Studebaker Starliner coupé fitted with an OHV 210–250 hp Cadillac V8 engine. Bill Frick Motors charged from $1500 to $1795 (manual 3-speed vs automatic) for the conversion or about $4500 to $5000 for a complete car. An option was a dual-range Hydra-Matic transmission. Other extras included leather, wire wheels (bolt-on or Borrani knock-off), electric tachometer, etc.

This modification was also made popular by the hot rod publications of the day.

https://www.motortrend.com/features/midwest-studillac-march-1954-982-1030-24-1/

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Jim Skelly said:

The ad states the engine is a 1950 (refer to the first post).

Reread my post. I acknowledged it was not an original 41 engine!