Up date have shoe/ drum size Dif I.D. Needed

IMG_5690.jpeg.ba482a976d0c7fe8a8b2e2ea721bbade.jpegIMG_5689.jpeg.98f0e2f74bf10c261999c94c4be675a4.jpegIMG_5686.jpeg.b537027cd17de42eda4dcb9fa4d9eaf2.jpegIMG_5685.jpeg.aae36448a804b8f6f731957b2d03790e.jpegI need to I.D. This rear end in order to re- do  the brakes. Original owner put it in our 1919 Essex. Was told it’s mopar. 
numbers read( I think ) Ic-796170  and

1828448ENP the E could be an F 

can the ratio be told from this info ?

thanks 

Edited by paulrhd29nz (see edit history)

I don`t know the make of rear-end, but thinking it is not positraction. You can get a close guesstimate on the ratio by jacking one rear wheel off the ground, then with it in neutral, rotate the wheel 2 complete revolutions, and count the revolutions the driveshaft turns. I always start with the valve stem at 12 o`clock, and have a mark on the drive shaft, then rotate the wheel and count the revolutions of the drive shaft.

Edited by pont35cpe (see edit history)

It is Mopar for sure. See that funny looking insignia to the left in the second picture? It stands for Dodge-Plymouth-Chrysler-Desoto. It might be an 8-3/4", but also could be something else as there are earlier Mopar axles that look similar to the 8-3/4".

You'll need to find the ratio using @pont35cpe's method. You won't get that from casting numbers. If it's 8-3/4", the ratio would have originally been on an aluminum flag attached to one of the bolts holding the carrier into the axle housing. If it were positraction, known as Sure-Grip in Mopar lingo, there should be a circular aluminum tag on another bolt that says "Use Sure-Grip Lube".

What is going to actually matter to buy brake parts is what brakes you have. You probably need to just get one apart and look. The three possibilities are 1) Lockheed (1955 or earlier) 2) Chrysler Centerplane (1956-1962-ish?) or 3) Bendix (1962-ish? to the end). If you don't know by looking, post pics with a drum off and we can probably figure it out.

For shoes you will need to know which of the three types you have, the drum diameter, and the shoe width. For the cylinder kits if you are doing those you also need to know the bore. You might need to take one apart to get the cup size.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 4

• paulrhd29nz changed the title to Up date have shoe/ drum size Dif I.D. Needed

Those are centerplane brakes, they started in 56, ended in the early 60s. Assuming Ornge is right about the numbers going back only to 62, I would start by looking for shoes for a 62 Fury/Belvedere/Savoy and see if you get a match for shoe size. 65 would have had different brakes for sure.

• Thanks 1

These types of centerplane ("Total Contact") brakes with 11" x 2" shoes were used in '56-'62 Dodge & Plymouth passenger cars (Chrysler, DeSoto & Imperial used bigger, 12" drums, backing plates & shoes).

Be aware that there were 3-4 "evolutions" (or updates) throughout those years and each "evolution" requires a use of some matching components, like backing plate, shoes, return springs must be from same "evolution" to get them to work correctly. For example, while they may look very similar, '56 backing plate or shoes will not work properly with their counterparts from '58 or '62, etc.

The design details & features of the backing plate and the shoes seem to suggest a '60-'62, at least to me.

P.S. In the last photo of the first post you can see the plug for the gear oil filling port on the differential case and about two inches straight below it is a slightly raised rectangular, flat "pad" intended for the stamping of the gear ratio at the factory.

In addition to gear ratio, let's say "3.31" or "3.54", etc and although very unlikely, there might also be a stamped "S" on it, which would indicate a "Sure-Grip", a.k.a. Limited Slip friction setup.  

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1