Brake issue with 1948 Lincoln convertible coupe

v12lincoln

Recently my right rear brake locked up stranding me on side of road.

i have replace everything from rubber line to shoes and springs. its still locks up and wont release until i bleed pressure off wheel cylinder, drivers side works perfect. do have a 0.002 worn spot on bottom edge of backing plate  just on one side that I polished and the emergency cable is lubed and releases fine.

Any ideas?

yes, rebuilt both rear wheel cylinders when i replace the drivers axle last week. have had passenger side apart twice to make sure. the brakes seat properly if I bleed the wheel cylinder.

If you jack up the rear of the car so the wheels can turn freely and then apply the brakes, does the right rear stick and bind then?

Are you sure you didn't pinch a steel line in removing replacing the rear end?  With your description, it shows all the signs of a blockage in the line, and since you replaced the rubber hoses the only thing left would be a pinched steel line. 

C .heck your master cyln make sure both holes are open . Happen to 50 chrysler , a small grain of sand got lodged in small hole .Same problem you are having  . Howard

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, v12lincoln said:

I should tell you I swapped it to disk breaks and a dual master cylinder 25 years ago, to many stupid drivers here in california, need the extra stopping power

Disk brakes on all 4 wheels?

I’m thinking it could be in the wheel cylinder.  That’s because your left side is working fine so fluid is getting to it and because you say relieving the pressure in the cylinder by opening the bleeder releases the brakes.  Maybe the wheel cylinder piston and rubber are jamming in the bore under the pressure of braking, just like it’s slightly out of round?  By removing the pressure in the cylinder the piston can then be pushed back.  Then when the brake is applied the whole process starts all over and it is again jammed?

5 hours ago, v12lincoln said:

it was a clog in the master cylinder. little piece of something but i got it out and cleaned ready to go in as soon as these 100 degree day go by.

thanks guys.

I to want to commend you for letting us know, so many either forget to post their solution or don’t care. Not only is it thoughtful to do so, it also allows others to search for a solution quickly through old threads

• Like 1
  • Haha 1