Anyone an expert on later Derham bodies and or Imperials??

As a kid growing up midtown East I often saw a 55 Imperial sedan ( not Limo body) with a blind quarter and Derham type roof and I believe a tan broadcloth interior. I’d see it at the Hilton and also the Plaza Hotel .

Additionally I think it had a tiny blue glassed illuminated lantern light mounted above the center windshield.  I’m guessing that it was a signal to or from the Chauffeur but unsure it’s actually use? 
Does anyone know this car or know someone who might? 
I always wanted it and it reminds me of my NYC childhood! Like to know what happened to her! 

6 hours ago, StylishOne said:

As a kid growing up midtown East I often saw a 55 Imperial sedan ( not Limo body) with a blind quarter and Derham type roof and I believe a tan broadcloth interior. I’d see it at the Hilton and also the Plaza Hotel .

Additionally I think it had a tiny blue glassed illuminated lantern light mounted above the center windshield.  I’m guessing that it was a signal to or from the Chauffeur but unsure it’s actually use? 
Does anyone know this car or know someone who might? 
I always wanted it and it reminds me of my NYC childhood! Like to know what happened to her! 

You may find some insight into Derham's postwar operation here, if you haven't already found this site:

http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/d/derham/derham.htm

With the advent of all-steel body construction, the few remaining custom coachbuilders turned to modifying factory production bodies.  Postwar, Derham created what became known as the "Derham Top" which was a formal-style, padded tan or black Haartz cloth roof covering, typically with small, limousine-style backlight.  Individual customers could order this work through their own dealership on whatever make they desired.  Typically they were applied to luxury makes of the era, but even some Buick Roadmasters and Chrysler New Yorkers were so ordered.  Derham also installed partition windows in the sedan bodies and would create whatever upholstery and trim the customer ordered in place of the factory interiors.  Packard contracted with Derham to build 25 Formal Sedans for their 1953 catalogue offerings.  The Derham Archive the CCCA Museum had available on-line at one time might have had a photo of the particular 1955 Imperial Formal Sedan you recall.  I believe you can request a copy of what they have directly from their website.

The tiny blue glass lantern light above the windshield was the opera light.  In the pre-war coachbuilt era, formal town cars were equipped with those high-mounted, colored lights on chauffeur driven cars so the patrons of the opera could recognize their own town car in the dark when the opera was letting out.  The coloring a person selected for the light would be individual to that town car owner.  

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

The Derham Body Company of Rosemont and Philadelphia, Pa. also were a Chrysler dealer starting in the late 1930s up into the early 1950s ; thus their production was increased on that manufacturers chassis of a customers choice. Cars immediately after WWII were hard to come buy and priced above market if you really wanted one due to the shortage . I spoke at length with a fellow at a car show who worked for Derham as a teenager into his early twenties. He was at a car show here on long island and saw my 1931 Franklin that had a Derham body on it. He told me in the post war era when a lot of cars transporting politicians and others who were not liked ,  were being blown apart by running over bombs placed in the street ( man hole covers etc) Derham was active "bomb proofing" cars - they would install chain mail under the carpets inside the car to stop any shrapnel from maiming the passengers.

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Derham was also doing moderate restoration work after the war. There are two late series Pierce Arrow's that were done over inside and out without any major modifications to the shell............

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1