1913 Buick Model 31 Touring car Not Mine $36550 US. Canada car 1 hour from Detroit

That is a beauty! I have always wondered about how it must have been to have that exposed valve train back when most roads were dirt once you got out of town. 

• Like 3

The exposed valve train was a problem. My 490 Chevrolet a good example the rear set of rocker arms were quite good but the front set had to have the shaft turned down and oversized bushings due to wear. I would guess that the front set caught the bulk of dirt and rain blowing through the radiator.

IMG_0301.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Installing a cover on top of it, as Chevrolet did years later, seemed to be a very simple engineering solution, so I believe there was some technical need to keep the valve train exposed.

Could it possibly be the frequency of adjustments needed?
I always think the variations you could find in the fuel back in those days.
At least, here in Brazil, in many rural areas in 1920s/30s, where fuel shipments were not very stable, they used gasoline, or/and ethanol, or/and kerosene to run the automobiles, whatever was available at the general store in the village!

Edited by JRA (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I get a chuckle from talk of wear in the valve train.  It has lasted 110 years, what do you expect.  Buick engineers and advertising promoted the over head valve engine as developing more power from smaller displacement engines.   It must be true because all engines today and since the 50's have all over head valves.

This engine has replacement valves and guides, however I keep the originals and they show little wear.  I just changed the valves as routine rebuilding procedure.  And when I put the car on display the public are thrilled to watch the push rods and rockers working, gas lamps lite, and right hand drive.

My inbox should be full of inquiries, this car is a bargain.

Regards, Gary  

• Like 3

Exposed overhead valves were very common on WWI aero engines and were considered a great advancement, and a sales point on cars. Of course, the environment the planes operated in was mostly dust free. Castor based oils were commonly used, which flew back from the engine, bathing the pilot and leading to lots of digestive issues. 

You can still get actual Castor -oil (some 2 stroke bikers use it) it would make your prewar car have a period correct odor! 

It does dry to a gummy mess...as a 20 year old I worked in a shop that maintained a 356 Porsche race car that used it. 

• Like 1

This was a delightful car to ride in. I was navigator on one day of the 2022 Dearborn to Lansing tour.

DSC00617.JPG.8046ddc02fc3c9d65c835aa093284dca.JPG  vx09puxs.png.494a8e9d1c20accedf81eb1e377a09d7.png

Sadly I do not have the wherewithal to acquire Gary's car.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday this Buick won best of show out of 600 vehicles in Chatham, On.  Make me an offer, Gary

DSC_0787l.jpg

• Like 2