Engine ID. straight 8

I purchased a straight 8 motor and I am trying to identify the year. It measures as “short” approximately 30.5” long at the valve cover. The casting to the right of the distributor is ground off or possibly wasn’t ever there. But the flat area is to the right of the distributor where the info says it should be. There is a number to the left of distributor next to oil dipstick - RE-150775 (the one could be a cap i) - no other numbers can be found on the block. There is a large number 7 raised on the block below the spot where I thought the number would be. 

any thoughts here from the experts? 

thanks in advance 

IMG_4843.jpeg

Might need to remove the valve cover to look for the cyl head casting number?  Are there any casting date stamps or castings on the block?  Once the casting date has been determined, the "rest of the story" might be discovered?  Remember that casting dates can precede the machining and assembly of the engine by several months.  What vehicle was the engine allegedly removed from?

Perhaps this post might be better positioned in the "Post-War" or "Pre-War" group which might get more "eyes on it"?

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Thank you - when you say “under the water pump” do you mean behind it or below? I don’t see any numbers below. There is a space behind water pump but I would need to remove to see it. 

pic has been added 

IMG_4844.jpeg

Remove the water pump.    Picture from other side will tell if it is '48-'49   or later.  Defiantly '48 or later.

The side engine mount started in 1948.  

I will stick my neck out and say 1948 or 1949.    Pic from driver side will help' Engine number will be conclusive.

Ben

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guys - I purchased the mounts separately. They were not with the motor but the motor definitely had the side mount holes. The mounts will fit nicely for the application. 

Pics of the other side coming later 

thanks

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, rj27buick said:

Thanks for the help - so most likely a 263 from 48 or 49. 

248 ci from 1948 or 1949. 

263 ci first built 1950

https://www.buickheritagealliance.org/index.php/restoration/engines/straight_8

The small engine was increased to 248 CI in 1937 and to 263 CI in 1950. 

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)
  • Thanks 2