1929 LaSalle Series 328 Town Sedan- Not mine on Bring a trailer

6 hours ago, cjmarzoli said:

Body looks too short for the chassis.  That's the way most club sedans of that vintage are proportioned though.

Club sedans - Town sedans (close coupled sedans) not always understood.  
They were the precursor of all standard four door sedans.  

“Shorter body with standard/integral trunk”.  This accomplished two significant functions. 

1. It moved the front & rear passengers closer so that they could communicate.  A standard sedan has the seats so far apart that the rear passengers cannot reach out and touch the front passengers.  The distance is a social disconnect. Conversation is subtly discouraged by the distance. Talking requires louder voices. 
2. Moving the rear passengers forward gives them a better ride.  They are no longer directly over the axle to feel every bump but closer to the roll center where the angular movement is less. 

The standard equipment trunk provides an important feature that didn’t become universal until the “touring sedans” of the middle 30s.  

While the length might seem strange if you have only seen regular sedans, the shorter Club sedan body gives a lighter, sportier look and feel.  

The close coupled sedan was the four door hardtop of its time.  Quite innovative. 

• Like 9

32 minutes ago, m-mman said:

Club sedans - Town sedans (close coupled sedans) not always understood.  
They were the precursor of all standard four door sedans.  

“Shorter body with standard/integral trunk”.  This accomplished two significant functions. 

1. It moved the front & rear passengers closer so that they could communicate.  A standard sedan has the seats so far apart that the rear passengers cannot reach out and touch the front passengers.  The distance is a social disconnect. Conversation is subtly discouraged by the distance. Talking requires louder voices. 
2. Moving the rear passengers forward gives them a better ride.  They are no longer directly over the axle to feel every bump but closer to the roll center where the angular movement is less. 

The standard equipment trunk provides an important feature that didn’t become universal until the “touring sedans” of the middle 30s.  

While the length might seem strange if you have only seen regular sedans, the shorter Club sedan body gives a lighter, sportier look and feel.  

The close coupled sedan was the four door hardtop of its time.  Quite innovative. 

Good points and I appreciate the advantages.  To my eye, most of the standard sedans of this period look better balanced than the club sedans, though moving into the early '30's the club sedans of some brands became better styled, especially as trunks became painted metal and smoother styled.   I'm probably in the minority as Club Sedans are generally valued higher.

6 hours ago, cjmarzoli said:

moving into the early '30's the club sedans of some brands became better styled, especially as trunks became painted metal and smoother styled. 

Name a car that didn’t become better looking as the industry moved out of the 20s and into the middle 30s.  

By the middle 30s all sedans (excluding long wheelbase 7 passenger types) were close coupled sedans.  The age of placing the passengers directly over the rear axle was over. 

The club sedans have always been my favorite body style. They look especially sweet from some angles. A neighbor caught me cruisin' around the block a few weeks ago in ours.image.jpeg.f5e037d3f3d71d34146ce61df24fb546.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TnTony said:

The club sedans have always been my favorite body style. They look especially sweet from some angles. A neighbor caught me cruisin' around the block a few weeks ago in ours.image.jpeg.f5e037d3f3d71d34146ce61df24fb546.jpeg

Nice car is it a 1929 LaSalle. I have a 1931 LaSalle 345 town sedan  not sure of the correct term  CLUB SEDAN or TOWN SEDAN or CLOSE COUPLED SEDAN 

would be nice if someone could confirm what model mine is

I love the shorter body with the metal trunk

20240311_170347.jpg

• Like 2

It’s a club sedan. Also known as a four window sedan. Regular sedan bodies have six windows. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cheapest way to buy a former Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance prize winner?  (I mean, from 1955, but still.)

10 hours ago, 31 LaSalle said:

Nice car is it a 1929 LaSalle. I have a 1931 LaSalle 345 town sedan  not sure of the correct term  CLUB SEDAN or TOWN SEDAN or CLOSE COUPLED SEDAN 

would be nice if someone could confirm what model mine is

I love the shorter body with the metal trunk

20240311_170347.jpg

Ours is a 1930

• Thanks 1