For Sale: 1961 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 900 Coupe, manual shift - $7,995 - Saint Augustine, FL - Not Mine

For Sale: 1961 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 900 Coupe, manual shift - $7,995 - Saint Augustine, FL

1961 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 900 for sale by owner - Saint Augustine, FL - craigslist
Seller's Description:

1961 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 900 for sale.  The car is 62 years old and has some issues like paint scratches, chips, and the instrument cluster (speedometer) needs to be rebuilt but on the whole it was meticulously cared for by my late father. I would like it to go to someone who can also care for it and enjoy it. I listed the odometer as 4000 but the odometer states, "4" and craigslist wouldn't let me list it as 4. Feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns.  Price is as listed or best offer.
Copy and paste in your email:  3516d03bc7353576b38653dcfb28087c@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1961 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 900 Coupe, manual shift.

'61 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 900 FL a.jpg

'61 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 900 FL b.jpg

'61 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 900 FL c.jpg

'61 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 900 FL d.jpg

'61 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 900 FL e.jpg

'61 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 900 FL f.jpg

'61 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 900 FL g.jpg

'61 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 900 FL h.jpg

• Like 4

As a 17 year old gearhead, I lusted for and drooled over a twin to this Monza.

Alas, the car only lasted a few days at the dealership, and I continued to drive my '50 Ford beater for a few more years. Later I decided on a Chevelle, probably a wiser choice.

• Like 1

These really are a nice design. That fan belt around-the-corner design always seemed a bit Rube Goldberg, but I believe it worked OK. 

The design is also similar to the Type34 Karmann Ghia (never imported) 

5039.jpg

• Like 3

Never had a belt break or go bad on mine. I think bad idler pulleys were probably the cause of belt problems. 
I really like these cars never had an issue with one trying to roll.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In 1960 Popular Mechanics drove a new Corvair, Falcon and Valiant on a coast to coast trial. 
The (brand new) Corvair was the only one that had to be towed a distance due to throwing the fan belt……

The national Corvair club calls their national meetings a “Fan Belt Toss”. I have to assume that they did not choose those words accidentally….

I understand that the problem is that the serpentine pathway results in stretching and slack and pops off the belt.  I have been told that a modification was a spring loaded idler pulley (just like a modern serpentine belt) solved the issue by maintaining the correct tension regardless of changing engine speeds. 

• Like 1

I know when I got mine I was warned to keep a spare belt under the seat. It was still there when I sold it. I was a motor head so maybe I kept an eye on it.