1905 Automobile Print, Mt. Washington Hotel, Bretton Woods

This recent discovery was quite a surprise - it's a commemorative print from the Automobile Week event held at the Mt. Washington Hotel, Bretton Woods, New Hampshire.  The hotel itself was completed in 1902.  It was, and remains today as part of the Omni Hotel chain, an elegant resort spa with a rich history - and a connection to motoring history.

Beginning in 1904, a "hill-Climb" race was held there over what was known as the Automobile Road up to the hotel.  The event was also called "The Climb To The Clouds," finishing at the hotel.  At that time, the road itself was a rocky, jagged, rough path that proved a serious challenge to early automobiles and drivers.  

Some of the most famous early motorists though made the run, including Joan Cuneo, the year this photo was taken. This 1905 event was held in conjunction with the Glidden Tour that year, the second Glidden held. 

This wonderful, historic print fits well in my collection, along with an original 1905 Glidden drivers badge, completion certificate and car banner from that tour. 

Was thrilled to add such a historic piece of artwork to my collection and thought you'd enjoy seeing it.

I've added a photo of a Peter Helk prilnt depicting that event.  It provides a good flavor the the excitement and challenged drivers had to face.

Terry

1905 Mt Washington print.jpg

1905 Mt Washington print close p.jpg

1905 Climb to the clouds by Helk.jpg

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)
  • Like 9

14 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

thought you'd enjoy seeing it.

Terry - YES INDEED. Just wonderful my friend to see this . Thanks for the on going sharing of your great collections of collections and your comments to make us all aware of exactly what we are viewing.

Walt

• 4 weeks later...

Taken at the Mount Washington.......our cars on tour......

IMG_3743.jpg

IMG_4681.JPG

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

Over the last 40 years, I have spent about 5 weeks total at the Mount Washington Hotel..........and driven up the auto road with my big boy toys........several times. 

Bentley Drivers Club tour

Duesenberg Tour

CCCA Caravan - two national and two regional

Pierce Arrow tour........

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2

J357 on tour at night doing a run to the local airport..........fun and scary at the same time. We pulled into the parking lot at 11pm.......with three black bears looking at us, first thing in the morning the next day a pack of coyotes lots of wildlife up there........

IMG_8035.JPG

IMG_8021.JPG

• Like 6