WATER TEMPERATURE JAUGE

hELLO

To overcome the malfunction of the dashboard indicator, i decided to fit a external water temperature jauge as

image.png.af9e93501e8e2c4295249c74cab13b1b.png

but it is not efficient ...

The sensor signal in my car  WITH one wire is not compatible with this modern jauge ?

It is necessary to use a signal sensor with 2 wires (masse+signal)?😁

Edited by cquisuila (see edit history)

6 minutes ago, cquisuila said:

hELLO

To overcome the malfunction of the dashboard indicator, i decided to fit a external water temperature jauge as

image.png.af9e93501e8e2c4295249c74cab13b1b.png

but it is not efficient ...

The sensor signal in my car  WITH one wire is not compatible with this modern jauge ?

It is necessary to use a signal sensor with 2 wires ?😁

I used a Bosch mini mechanical temp gauge connected to the engine. There is an opening on the top left hand side in the back. The heat sensor bulb goes in there. I mounted the mechanical gauge for water temp and oil pressure in the ash tray opening of my 63 Riviera. Works good. I drilled a 2" diameter hole in the floor next to the console on the right hand side to get the water and oil temp cables. I used mechanical because I seem to think mechanical in this instance is more accurate.

Edited by Turbinator (see edit history)
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Turbinator said:

I used a Bosch mini mechanical temp gauge connected to the engine. There is an opening on the top left hand side in the back. The heat sensor bulb goes in there. I mounted the mechanical gauge for water temp and oil pressure in the ash tray opening of my 63 Riviera. Works good. I drilled a 2" diameter hole in the floor next to the console on the right hand side to get the water and oil temp cables. I used mechanical because I seem to think mechanical in this instance is more accurate.

and you use the only thread of your car  for signal temperature? AND + and -

Usually the sensor must match the gauge. In old American cars, GM, Ford, Chrysler, Stewart-Warner aftermarket, Auto-Meter aftermarket, VDO aftermarket, etc. are all different.

I have seen aftermarket gauges advertised that can be set to work with many different sensors. I have never used one.

20 minutes ago, cquisuila said:

cold lamp and hot lamp ?? What is it please ?

That system had a green light and a red light. No gauge.

ok

if I understand correctly , either I have to measure the ohms on my probe RIVIERA to correspond with a gauge or replace my Riviera probe with another that goes with a gauge

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cquisuila said:

cold lamp and hot lamp ?? What is it please ?

THE sending unit on riviera 1966 HAS one wire .

image.png.29b1ad2b8fa343178e7dae902c0f49b2.png

Only lamp (red) is for HOT.  On the first generation Rivieras there was a GREEN cold lamp and a RED hot lamp. Need a wire for each lamp. 

On 4/5/2024 at 9:29 AM, cquisuila said:

ok

if I understand correctly , either I have to measure the ohms on my probe RIVIERA to correspond with a gauge or replace my Riviera probe with another that goes with a gauge

Yes. Either use a probe that is meant to be used with the gauge, or a gauge that is meant to work with your original probe.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

image.png.672031e7573deb54ebc279e43c0bf505.png

HELLO

I BOUGHT the sensor for my VDO jauge but i am not sure for the wiring

in the notice there is a pin for  "alarm light +" and the pin (large) for +

so is it exact to connect the battery + to large pin and a wire to signal jauge to narrow pin as below diagram?

image.png.787186f597f28b1c5a7b119feac00ce0.png

Thank you !

Philippe

Posted (edited)

image.png.c0270c6f3b0130de97ab0d5a9b40bcf3.png

i THINK that this up schematic is the good wiring.

if I don't have  a warning lamp i have to connect directly narrow (WK) pin to + and large pin (S/G) to pin- signal jauge ?

Edited by cquisuila (see edit history)

The temperature sensor is typically just a temperature-sensitive resistor (thermistor).  From the schematic above, it looks like this sensor contains both a switch (normally open) for an indicator (HOT) light and a temperature-sensitive resistor (thermistor) for an analog gauge.  You can confirm this with hypothesis with an Ohm meter.  One pin should show continuity (some number of Ohms) with the sensor body when cold (connect to gauge).  The other pin should be open (infinite resistance) when cold (connect to HOT indicator light (if there is one; otherwise leave disconnected).

Do your diagrams reflect the documentation provided with the VDO gauge?  If you're not sure, you should check the sensor with an Ohm meter or 12V test light.  Ground the sensor body and apply 12V to each pin using a test light.  The thermistor pin should light the light dimly.  The switch pin should not light the test light at all.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EmTee said:

Do your diagrams reflect the documentation provided with the VDO gauge?

no diagram with this sensor

and my VDO JAUGE give only 2 diagrams with sensor 1 or 2 pins

> i will test this evening

• Like 1

Does your Riviera have a temperature light on the dashboard?  I don't think that my '67 has any - just the gauge.  I'm thinking that you will just leave the sensor pin for the light control (i.e., the switch pin) disconnected.

yes it is on my riviera 1966 a jauge without light alarm

i want to delete my riviera jauge (masse problem on dashboard  and i don't want to retry again my tachymeter)

so i want to remplace by this sensor on motor and the jauge VDO put in my interior of my car

Posted (edited)

OK

It is efficient🙂

_Sensor mounted on engine

Large pin to S pin jauge

Narrow pin possible for alerte température if i need

_Jauge

Pin ground

Pin positive 

And 

Pin S to Large pin sensor

image.png.afd3b06aa727b6b8e13323f7ed35af45.png