1964 Buick Electra firing order

Look on the intake manifold runners.  Usually, the firing order of the particular engine is cast into it.  There should NOT be two firing orders for a Nailhead engine, period.  But that NH firing order could be different from later Buick V-8s.

NTX5467

• Thanks 1

Your mechanic was about half right about two firing orders. The new-for-64 300ci engine used the later GM 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 firing order but it wasn't installed in Electras, so I cropped that one out of the picture.

Hope it helps. Motor's, Chilton's and Glenn's professional trades edition general repair manuals are nearly as good as the factory publications for many repairs that a general service garage would make. 

Looking at that Nailhead firing order tells me why they have that "mutter" at idle and low speed acceleration.

I never have done it, yet, but I've always wondered if the firing orders were really the same, as to cyl-to-cyl sequence other than which cyl is designated #1?

Idle thought,

NTX5467

The Nailhead 1-2-7-8-4-5-6-3, Chevy small block 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2, and Ford Windsor’s 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8 are actually all the same firing order except for the cylinder numbering convention, and which cylinder is designated #1. There are probably more.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

"We" all know that a 1964 Electra would have only a 401 or 425 engine and the firing order for that block. That information is only in a limited subset of the species. In today's accessible research of unlimited knowledge like Eve biting the apple from the tree of knowledge a search for firing order of a 1964 Buick will give all the options of the model lines. That is one of the long term learning problems accessing a database, the answer without the learning process. Data at your fingertips. It shoes up more frequently than one would expect. Just Google a Googol. My wife is a librarian and I figure that's about how big the problem is from her reports.

• Haha 1