1929 75 starter cable routing

• 3 weeks later...

Ip,

That would help. Regardless to whether it is RHD or LHD the battery and the starter are in the same place so the wiring would be the same I would think.

Thank you.

6 hours ago, Narve N said:

Reusing the old cable-isolation this routing appeared natural. Car is second version Series 75 (DCP).

240422KablingstartarDCP-likorgqm(1).jpg.2769dc632e968b9a6222696d4f3b556a.jpg240422KablingstartarDCP-likorgqm(2).jpg.07fc2236ab3f6cda018a58dd91e826a4.jpg

Hi Narve N 

great info I always love photos they can explain so much more. Just wondering when you say second version series 75 what do you mean? I’m guessing there must have been some significant changes mid production? 
Cheers Ben

Narve,

Great photo. Just what I was looking for. Interesting to see the right angle bend on the attachment lug. Makes sense. Thanks for all your help.

Ben, the early starter setup is like a 72 with the tall starter switch. There is a cable to one side of the switch and another to the starter. Late has the switch on the starter, as above. Early is is on the back of the block.

72 starter.jpg

• Like 2

Hey Narve N, great photos.  I have a 1928 Model 72 roadster and in my situation the cable from the battery goes up to the starter switch mounted on the rear of the engine.  Do you think there is a similar routing for my cable on the left side of the bell housing and clamped with that bracket to the bell housing?

8 hours ago, leomara said:

a similar routing for my cable on the left side of the bell housing and clamped with that bracket to the bell housing?

That would make sense. I honestly believe that a safe installation (clamping is vital) is the most important fact, almost all of this will anyhow be hidden. Also, as getting sufficient current to the starter motor is a main task, I am actually considering replacing the ground cable with a longer connected to a starter mounting bolt. By the same consideration, all my main cables are fresh with old-style covers outside.

For the smaller wires however I have reused several of those that still have good isolation.

4 hours ago, leomara said:

OK Narve N, was the ground cable a steel braded strap or a copper strip and where was it connected to the frame?

Good call. As I installed a battery ground connection on/off switch into the floor, the flat strap normally connected from the battery to the frame was not long enough anymore. I will need to replace that with (probably a gauge 0 welding equipment type) cable of sufficient length. Modern, but covered in either some original isolation or tape to disguise the plastic isolation.

On 4/23/2024 at 10:39 PM, BlueDevil said:

Narve,

Great photo. Just what I was looking for. Interesting to see the right angle bend on the attachment lug. Makes sense. Thanks for all your help.

Ben, the early starter setup is like a 72 with the tall starter switch. There is a cable to one side of the switch and another to the starter. Late has the switch on the starter, as above. Early is is on the back of the block.

72 starter.jpg

Ah of course I think now that you have said this that I remember hearing this before. Thanks for the clarification.

cheers Ben