1910 Metz engine. Getting ready to dismantle mine and would love a guide

Look in the "Our cars and Restoration Projects" forum.There is a fellow doing a restoration on a 1913 Metz. Might be helpful to check him out.

I believe (if I recall correctly?) that 1911 was the first year for Metz to have a four cylinder engine. The model 22 ran from 1911 through 1915 with both the model 22 and the model 25 four cylinder cars being built during 1915. The Metz six cylinder model also began late in 1915.

A 1910 should be the two cylinder car.

Been a long time since I looked at it, but the AACA magazine had a great multipart article on the Metz automobiles back around 1970 (a couple years before or after). As I recall, there was a picture in one of them of the two cylinder engine. Copies show up on eBay from time to time. O the AACA Research Library should be able to provide copies of the article.

Actual schematics of the engine may or may not be available.

5 hours ago, Thomas Pruett said:

Need engine diagram with dimensions and schematic

A reboot of the same question you asked previously?

Ok, so not to be a smart guy, but the reality is there most likely is nearly no schematics, diagrams or manuals detailing how to disassemble and reassemble from something made in 1910.

There may be a few intrepid folks who have torn down a metz engine, perhaps they have documented it some, but I am pretty sure your not going to find a "chilton book" on your Metz.

For the most part, tearing down isn't rocket science, typically you start locating bolts that need removed and nuts to remove parts until you have it in pieces small enough to fit in some milk crates (or basket as in basket case).. Tear down is the easy part.

The problem begins with reassembling things and that is where YOU needed to take many many pictures, make many many notes, tag each bolt and nut where it came from when you were in the teardown stage. Basically you will most likely have to make your own schematic and diagrams.

I don't wish to come across as rude, but,  If you can't figure out how to tear it down, you may wish to find some local help near to you that is familiar to rebuilding engines to assist or pass it to a vintage engine builder.

I have had to make my own notes on a circa 1903-1907 single cylinder engine that has no name or information about who built it with absolutely zero documentation as I figure out its problems. I take pictures, lots of them, I take lots of notes, when I remove a part, it is tagged and labeled. It is the way you have to do it.

I must ask the question as to why your wanting to tear it apart? Did you try to start it? Making noises? Just doing a full rebuild because, well, someone told you it needed it? New to you and not familiar with it? Stuck? There many ways to diagnose and fix issues without tear down..

• Like 1

I looked in the HCFI research library to see what they had for Metz documents.  Unfortunately, I didn't see much info on the two cylinder "plan" cars.  Here is a link to the site if you want to look for yourself, you may have to create an account with them to view the documents.  https://www.hcfi.org/library/automobiles/metz

The Metz 4-cylinder engine (Models 22 & 25) was almost a twin to the Ford Model T power plants. Metz hired one of Ford's engineers to design it. The head gaskets are even interchangeable. The Metz is simpler to rebuild than a Ford in that it has no transmission attached, no spark coils, and no magneto/flywheel combo. The bottom line: get some Model T manuals from the suppliers or the MTFCA and you'll be on your way to rebuilding your Metz engine.

Edited by MochetVelo (see edit history)