Trying to identify a set of drum headlamps

JReid

Hello all, been reading here for some time but this is my first post. I'm trying to identify these drum headlamps that were recently given to me by a newly widowed neighbor. They have Walter Patterson lenses which is not much of a clue, was thinking early Buick maybe, they also have a smaller light inside which I though was odd but what do I know? I would think the mountings might be a clue as I don't remember seeing any others like these. Nothing is stamped on the housings that I can see. Does anyone recognize these? Thank you in advance for any info given. Jim

Headlamp (1) (2).jpg

Headlamp (1) (3).jpg

Headlamp (1) (5).jpg

I could be wrong, but I do not think Buick ever used a fork mounted drum headlamp in the electric era. The overall style appears to be mid 1920s, however, mostly only higher end cars like Locomobile, Packard, and Lincoln, used fork mounted lamps that late. Drum style headlamps were mostly popular around 1924 through 1927 (some earlier and a few later).

The small bulb inside is unusual and may help someone to recognize them. A lot of headlamps that era used a two bulb arrangement with one bulb for "Bright" and a different bulb for "Dim" lights. The smaller "Dim" bulb was usually offset down, but not much smaller than the "Bright" bulb. If what I think I see through the lens is the secondary bulb? It looks too small for the " Dim" bulb? Maybe it is an illusion? Or maybe it was changed? A better photo of it would help.

Another possibility for the small bulb is that a few automobiles had a smaller small bulb inside the headlamps for use as a parking lamp. Don't see many like that. IF (big IF) that is what that bulb is for, it is just enough so that the front of the car can be seen parked on a dark street, and not drain the battery too quickly.

Looks like a nice set of headlamps! I hope you can find out what they are supposed to fit and help get them onto a car where they belong.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, wayne sheldon said:

I could be wrong, but I do not think Buick ever used a fork mounted drum headlamp in the electric era. The overall style appears to be mid 1920s, however, mostly only higher end cars like Locomobile, Packard, and Lincoln, used fork mounted lamps that late. Drum style headlamps were mostly popular around 1924 through 1927 (some earlier and a few later).

The small bulb inside is unusual and may help someone to recognize them. A lot of headlamps that era used a two bulb arrangement with one bulb for "Bright" and a different bulb for "Dim" lights. The smaller "Dim" bulb was usually offset down, but not much smaller than the "Bright" bulb. If what I think I see through the lens is the secondary bulb? It looks too small for the " Dim" bulb? Maybe it is an illusion? Or maybe it was changed? A better photo of it would help.

Another possibility for the small bulb is that a few automobiles had a smaller small bulb inside the headlamps for use as a parking lamp. Don't see many like that. IF (big IF) that is what that bulb is for, it is just enough so that the front of the car can be seen parked on a dark street, and not drain the battery too quickly.

Looks like a nice set of headlamps! I hope you can find out what they are supposed to fit and help get them onto a car where they belong.

Thank you Wayne, a'googling I will go with the high end makes, there's just so many of them and probably some I'm unaware of.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Larry Schramm said:

My first thought being plain is for a truck.

Anything is possible I guess, is your Buick truck the green one I see so many pics of on google? Really cool! EDIT: Ah, yes! Saw an article, Buicks on the Bricks, and there you are, named, with your wife and truck!

Edited by JReid (see edit history)

2 hours ago, JReid said:

Anything is possible I guess, is your Buick truck the green one I see so many pics of on google? Really cool! EDIT: Ah, yes! Saw an article, Buicks on the Bricks, and there you are, named, with your wife and truck!

That green Buick truck is our truck.  We have had a lot of fun with it including touring with it.  I think it is the only one that is regularly taken out and driven and seen in public.  We have worn out one set of tires on it so far.  I need to fix a driveline noise and then it will be on to tackle another set of tires. Best trophy is a set of worn out tires.

• Like 2

I don’t think they are Cole but just on the very slight chance they could be for the 3 years Cole used them for I’ll have my dad measure and look at the ones on our Cole’s. Definitely agree with what was said earlier though definitely belongs to a higher end car wouldn’t have been on a cheap car at least I don’t believe.