1972 Saab 96 V4 - $6,500 (West Seattle)

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/seattle-1972-saab-96-v4/7730226584.html

21 photos on ad

Great runner, lots of recent work. This is a fun working project, gets lots of looks and smiles and starts conversations wherever it goes. Bought it from a Saab family on Whidbey Island two years ago, and I am losing my garage space so I have to let it go. It is a very fun, stable front wheel drive car that is easy to work on, has an amazingly supportive community, and parts are more available and less expensive than you might think. It is a simple, beautifully funky machine, ready for fun. We have about $8K invested to date in addition to the purchase two years ago. There are a few more mechanical items to take care of before cosmetics, or it is a great survivor as is.

Full price offer will include four Saab Soccer Ball wheels with lug bolts, washers, and new center caps, ready for you to fit new tires. Comes with lots of spare parts, gaskets, workshop manual, straight front end panel, nearly perfect grill and headlight bezels, and very nice center grill with badge. I am happy to provide the list of reliable parts contacts.

Four-speed manual on the column with a freewheel.
Recent work includes:
CV Joints (previous owner / 2022)
Clutch (previous owner / 2022)
Brush paint job (previous owner - 2018?)
Front end rebuild by Scanwest, parts from Malbrad:
• Wheel bearings
• Ball joints• Upper and lower control arm bushings
Brakes by Scanwest, parts from Malbrad:
• Front Brakes: rotors, calipers, pads, brake lines
• Rear Brakes: pads, cylinders, spring kit, brake lines
New KYB shocks front and rear
Rear suspension retention straps
New Weber 34ICH carburetor with manual choke, K+N RA070V air filter
New plugs, plug wires, cap, rotor
Replaced all fuses and cleaned fuse box
Jetex 2” stainless steel exhaust and header (it sounds fantastic, see the video link below)
Transmission flush
Coolant flush
Starts great, runs and stops well. Fun daily driver
No rust in shock towers
Some floor rust repair by previous owner
Minor floor rust in footwell, which is very common with these cars

Call or text Mark J. - (206) 973-6267

00L0L_9ojPB4CxfHv_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00p0p_5StBymKMCqD_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

01717_hHX6TUz1u0k_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

01111_gWfRmGNdQFs_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00K0K_dcxjmuJtHIC_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

• Like 6

These are lots of fun and this is a fair price in my opinion. So many quirky features. For instance, the front windows don't "roll down". There is a hole in the glass near the front edge and they pivot around that point to disappear into the door. SAAB became a car manufacturer following WWII when war surplus airplanes killed the market for the ones they were producing. There was a very small group of aircraft designers involved in initial design, and a number of them did not even have a drivers license, so no wonder the car came out a little "unique". 

By the way, SAAB still exists as a defense firm, and the US Marines just signed a big contract with them to supply a new system for simulated combat to be used in training. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, zepher said:

Is the plumber's tape on the radiator a factory part? :D

No! Although a period correct one could be made from a discarded herring tin.

• Haha 3