Distributor

Not sure quite what you mean Phil so I include a couple of pages out of the book detailing the correct way to set the ignition timing for the NorthEast Distributor.

IMG_1092.jpeg.25a739bb08e11158f472fa9fbbe36117.jpeg
IMG_1093.jpeg.c7f95e4945f3d091c9498d8c45fda1a6.jpeg

I hope this helps.

Nige.

Edited by Minibago
Changed picture (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I am not sure if I understand either just what you are trying to accomplish.

What I do is pull the spark plugs and have someone turn the engine over while I stick my finger over number one plug hole.

Stopping quickly when I feel the compression, then I look for the timing marks (they should be fairly close to TDC now) and adjust to be at TDC.

The rotor should then be pointing at the number one area in the distributor.

Install the plugs and wires accordingly.

Often manuals will want the number one tower to be in a certain place and sometimes to do that one may need to move the distributor drive over a tooth or two. Not to bad of a project on some engines, but lots more work if that has to be done by taking the oil pump out to move a tooth over.

The fact is the engine doesn't care about all that. Just needs to be set up like I just described.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2024 at 6:20 AM, Phillip Robinson said:
On 2/25/2024 at 6:20 AM, Phillip Robinson said:

I want to move the distributor one space around

My guess is that you want to relocate the distributor body by 60 or 90 degrees from where it is now.  

Providing the year, make, model and a clearer description of what you are trying to accomplish will generate a flurry of replies.

The big question is what year make and model car ? The distributor on some models will fit only one way. The keyway at the end of the shaft is offset and will never set in the slot if the shaft is not lined up. some distributors have splined drive . Which ones are we talking about ? The picture by Minibago shows the type #TU10820-A Which I describe above. With a splined rive distributor it is possible to set the timing incorrectly.