Leaking heater core (valve)?

Drakeule

Started to gurgle, then spew out on my beautiful OEM carpet! Could be the valve and/or the core. Any advice on removal of same?

Anybody know about replacements,or have a NOS valve or core available?

Guess just working out the bugs....

P.S. best way to get the coolant out of the carpet?

C Drake, Potomac, Md.

Can't help with the parts, but if you have a Bissell Little Green Machine or something similar it will get the coolant goo and smell out of the carpet. Might take a couple of cleanings. Antifreeze smell can be persistent.

Alternately rent a Rug Doctor and clean the rugs in the house too while you have it.

IDK if Stanley Steemer or other commercial rug cleaners do small jobs like car interiors or not.

• Like 2

In my youth the family ‘63 Pontiac Bonneville dumped the contents of the heater core on the floor carpeting.  We took the carpet (front) out laid it on the driveway used buckets of warm soapy water and a garden hose to thoroughly rinse.  Hung it across the clothesline for days to fully dry.  Turned out OK.  I think there were also some pieces of felt like padding under the carpet that also needed cleaning.  

• Like 1

All:

I got an Everhot heater valve from Ebay; my radiator guy tested all and I am in the process of putting it back in the car and documenting as I go.

Like I said before, the normally-good directions from the Buick manual seemed lacking to me; I had to figure out what they were talking about as I went along.

I think I'll put this under a new thread.

CD 

BTW, I will keep the rebuild man's number handy; I don't plan on parting with my OEM Harrison valve any time soon!

And thanks to all about cleaning the rug and jute; That Bissell maching appears to work well to clean the carpet. I just inundated the jute with a hose and then several buckets of soapy warm water. I stomped out as much

excess water as I could and hung them up like wet clothes to dry.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Drakeule said:

I just inundated the jute with a hose and then several buckets of soapy warm water.

A good wet/dry shop-vac should be able to suck most of the water out.  Put it in the sun for an hour or two to dry the jute padding.