Does there exist a '60 Buick seat belt installation service bulletin ?

Drakeule

Have you looked at the floorpan for threaded holes? I'm fairly sure it was an option on some GM cars in 1959, and probably earlier, et least for the front seat.

Hope you find the documents you are looking for.

I somewhat suspect that if there was such a document, it would not related to just the 1960 models, but probably a few model years sooner, when the option first became available for accessory installation.

There would be an instruction sheet in the accessory package of the pair of seat belts, though.  Which would also probably have an illustration of where the factory holes/anchors were in the floorpan.  Possibly with a paper template of where to drill?

As to actual installation of the belts, back then the belts were just for the outer/normal passenger locations.  Nothing for the center front seat position.  Usually, the inner belts (with the buckles) were criss-crossed over the driveshaft tunnel, such that the belt installed on the rh side ended up being the buckle for the driver as the belt installed to the rh side went to the passenger side seating position.  This way, the angle of "pull" would be more gradual of a "U" shape with more gradual forces against the user.

The location of the outer belts would be into the inner side of the rocker panes.  Unless the upscale retractor mechanisms were installed on those belts, they just laid against the seat tracks.  Retractors could be installed easily, if desired.  Later models had a vinyl holder they were installed into, some with a larger end to accomodate the retractor and rolled-up belt, when not in use.

As these were officially "accessory" items, I doubt they would be covered in the factory service manual, which makes the instruction sheet more important.  In some of the vendors which sell accessory seat belts, I would suspect they would have some more detailed instruction sheets as to where the factory anchors might be, both on the driveshaft tunnel and the inner rocker panels.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

I had read somewhere long ago that 1962 was the first year GM put actual mounting holes in the floors for the front seat belts to be installed as a dealer accessory. I’ve owned two 62’ GM cars a Bel Air and my Lesabre and both did in fact have the holes. The rears had dimples in the floor to drill holes for rear belts. Can’t confirm any older than that however. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

When I was a kid, our family got a 2-3 year old 1959 Electra Sedan. It had one long seat-belt that went across the entire front bench seat. It was the typical seat-belt material (webbed nylon?) with a simple square cut on one end that went into a ribbed tension clasp on the other end. First seat-beIt I ever saw. It was used a couple times the rolled up and tucked away under the seat. 

All:

Yesterday, I affected the seat belt installation in my '60 Invicta. No picnic, but doable, especially since there was a you tube video (see below.) I did not have to remove the bench seat,like the guy did in the video.

The most difficult part was working the belt through the crack between the bench and backrest. I very carefully pushed a large bladed screwdriver into the separation, then worked it past the springs until I felt it poke against the bench vinyl.Then, I made a slit in the vinyl. I tried unsuccessfully to pull a wire with the seat belt attached through the springs. Finally, I was able to work the attachment itself through, using just both hands' fingers. I had to work past batting and the springs, but eventually was able to pull it through. 

Drilling and attaching the belts was not fun either; probably not much different than on most other models.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Did you end up reconnecting the cigarette lighter socket. As my first thought when you said you had kids that it would be a great power source to plug in their iPads and devices. Going to be a nice family cruiser when done.

Enjoy 😀😀😀😀

And BTW, shedding blood is normal on any Buick you work on. Comes with the territory and is proportional to the degree of difficulty in the job. Probably a formula somewhere.

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Drakeule said:

Rodney (AKA Mate):

The guy is the video is the one who disconnected the rear cigar lighter.  Good point!

Thanks,

CD

Ah, and here I am thinking it was your video. Need to read more carefully 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀