Manual Muncie Transmission

Clark Eaton

My 1965 Malibu is very sensitive in first gear and if you try to romp on gas pedal after letting off the clutch it's herky jerky.  I just want it to move out.  Also if vehicle heats up and I go somewhere car cools down for 30 minutes or so transmission gets in a gear in between and will stall out every time.  I don't understand it.  Feels like I got ghost in the transmission.  Would you recommend rebuilding transmission?  What do you think is wrong with it?

Edited by Clark Eaton (see edit history)

If you have the Muncie floor shift linkage on there you just have to get used to getting one rear wheel up on the curb so you can reach under and pull that low arm back to the neutral gate. Column shift, just open the hood and pull it up.

Diligently following the shift pattern will help.

6 hours ago, Clark Eaton said:

My 1965 Malibu is very sensitive in first gear and if you try to romp on gas pedal after letting off the clutch it's herky jerky.  I just want it to move out.  Also if vehicle heats up and I go somewhere car cools down for 30 minutes or so transmission gets in a gear in between and will stall out every time.  I don't understand it.  Feels like I got ghost in the transmission.  Would you recommend rebuilding transmission?  What do you think is wrong with it?

You might get a more serious response by posting this in the "technical" forum

10 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Diligently following the shift pattern will help.

i.e. do the H pattern, not straight line from point to point!😮

Might be onto something with the linkage.  Still don't understand the herky jerky ordeal when going into first.  Once releasing the clutch should be able to hit the gas pedal and go without the screechy tire stop go ordeal.

My old worn out 1962 Dodge PU I had to shift it with two straight fingers step by step.

If I messed up it was turn the key off, open the hood, pull on the linkage.

It was easier to do this than pull up the tin on the floor and reach in through the rust hole.

10 hours ago, Clark Eaton said:

Also my other question I have is it possible to put disc brakes in the front with 14 inch rims?  Tried it already but the caliper bracket was rubbing up against the rim with no room.

There are other posts on the forum about that. Apparently it's a problem with the 14 in. wheels. I don't understand the herky jerky. Is it just too sensitive in 1st or is there a mechanical slip-grab going on?

I'll discuss it with my mechanic and get his 2 cents on it.  When I had the engine rebuilt my previous mechanic mentioned the clutch looked like brand new with minimal wear so I didn't replace it.  The car was barely driven after high school in 96.