'40 Buick 80 LTD fuse location(s)?

Don in Mystic

The fuse for the tail lights and headlights is found on the switch.  It is a metal strip that overheats and disconnects the circuit.  First check the grounding on your lamp housings.  If that doesn't help, remove the headlight switch and clean it up.  Signal lights are fed through the steering column to a connector that may have gotten dirty or loose.  Find the wire bundle coming out of the steering column under the dash and follow it to the connector.

2 hours ago, Don in Mystic said:

its the brake and turn signals that are out.

I would take a good look at the turn signal switch as the brake lights and turn signal wiring is there.

• Like 2

A 6/12 volt bulb type test light is what you would use to trace the power in your circuit.  They are inexpensive and will allow you to see where the power stops.  Not Rocket Science but requires effort on the part of the car owner. 

1 hour ago, JACK M said:

I would take a good look at the turn signal switch as the brake lights and turn signal wiring is there.

Believe it or not, they're probably not shared in a 40 Buick like most other American cars. Buick started in 39 with the first factory turn signals, arrows in a chunk of chrome in the middle of the back of the car. I think they continued that program for a while. Still a good place to look.

• Like 1